House is sold...moving back to Naperville

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Been a long struggle with my house...finally got a buyer, and we close on the 10th. We picked up the keys to the new place Monday.

Long story short, we got pretty fucked on our house. Right after I got laid off in '08 we called the bank that holds our mortgage...at the time it was Mid-America...in a month they were bought out by National City. National City was really overloaded, but was working with us - Slowly. We had to do a hardship letter, and worked out a reduced payment plan for a 6 month period, to be re-reviewed after the 6 month period. During the time the underwriter was reviewing our agreement, our mortage payments were put on hold via the bank.

This was a blessing, since in the 6 month period after the lay-off, I didn't recieve any benefits, and we ran through all our savings. Fast forward until the fall of '09. We had kept all payments up to date, and were awaiting our 2nd review period. We heard nothing until December (about when Nat'l City was bought by PNC), then found out they sold our loan to Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo wouldn't recognize ANY payment made since September '08, and immediately killed our credit score in the process. They were also unwilling to accept any type of reduced payment plan through them. They wanted ALL payments up to date in one lump sum (which with their added fees, and increased our loan rate from 4.25 to 14%) would have been over $20K. So, give us 20K or get the fuck out.

I finally landed a job, but had to switch careers to do it...and although the pay is generous, it's MUCH less than I've been accustomed to making and a struggle to support our family.

Anyway, we have been playing the "game" with the mortage company to string them along until the house sold...and it worked. We finally got a buyer for a short sale and it'll clear up any responsibility towards the house to avoid a foreclosure.

The thing that gets me is the bank's stupidity on this. If they would have accepted a reduced payment agreement, they would have still been able to bring the mortage to full maturity and make money off it. Instead, they gave us a bunch of hastle and BS, then sold the house on short sale for a mere $135K! After the laywer, the 2nd morgage, the association, the realitor gets their cut...they may get $80-90K? Woo-hoo; no wonder the banks needed a bailout!

Sorry for the rant, but after the past two years it's going to be nice to move past all of this BS, and just be a lowly renter again for a while!

The new place is actually nicer than the old place in many ways too!

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Good to hear Ron... Renting another townhouse?

Nope, Single family home. It's a real nice house inside (3Bdr/basement), but the landscaping is very overgrown, and the yard has more weeds than grass. Should look nice in a few months though. Has a decent sized deck out back too. It's in a neighborhood with a lot of teardowns, so we're surrounded by some pretty nice spreads. School district is a 9/10 on great schools...which is good, since the only decent school in Bolingbrook is a 6/10, and that's the one my kids currently go to. The school is also walking distance with a direct path to it...that'll help since we've only got the one car now.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so you sold it for 135? let's say you owed 200, do you have to pay something else to make them forgive the other 65? or does the 135 include that (115 sale, 20 forgiveness, both paid by buyer)? have a buddy in the same boat.

the simple fact is, there was and still is a huge debt overhang problem. there need to be more foreclosures to get rid of this bad debt. it helps nobody for people to live in their homes as debtor's prisons, paying interests to the bank on an overvalued price that a home is no longer worth and may not be worth for a long time. the money should be going into the economy establishing normal healthy economic demand instead of going to banks, who already even had a bailout. aside from more foreclosures and short sales, where it makes sense the banks should be doing principal write downs. not just lower payments (pay us x buy 5 years more) but lowering the principal value of the loan closer to what it's actually worth. the government has lost any pressure they could have applied to banks to do this, because they have been bailed out and are buddy buddy with them. i would consider this one of obama's first major failures as they could have put pressure on these fuckers.

the banks move slowly because they don't want to admit a home is worth less than what it's on the books for. cuz then their shit looks worse. currently they get to mark to model and value your home at whatever it's worth. if you got a write down, or foreclosure or sale though, then they have to write down how much they lost.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info