Which smart phone?

Ok so I sold my iPhone 3GS that had the 3G issues to some guy planning on unlocking it and using on tmobile so I'm back to square one. I can deal with my Vu for a couple more months but I really need to buy a phone that isn't as limited some time after the new year. I've narrowed it down to 2 phones unless anyone has any other suggestions for an AT&T phone:

1. iPhone 4 because of its amazing screen resolution mostly, but it has flash and front facing camera which is pretty cool I guess. We all know what iPhones do so I won't get into that. I hate iPhones because of their trendy status but I would buy a 4 because I'm used to the OS and I've tried my friends 4 before and I think it's pretty sweet.

2. Samsung Captivate: I'm really leaning towards this one. Awesome resolution, big screen, android based which is a huge plus because I really want an android, swipe texting and a ton more.
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...TM)+-+Black&q_sku=sku4760319#fbid=9n1yCz5fiz8

What do you guys think?

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Ok so I sold my iPhone 3GS that had the 3G issues to some guy planning on unlocking it and using on tmobile so I'm back to square one. I can deal with my Vu for a couple more months but I really need to buy a phone that isn't as limited some time after the new year. I've narrowed it down to 2 phones unless anyone has any other suggestions for an AT&T phone:

1. iPhone 4 because of its amazing screen resolution mostly, but it has flash and front facing camera which is pretty cool I guess. We all know what iPhones do so I won't get into that. I hate iPhones because of their trendy status but I would buy a 4 because I'm used to the OS and I've tried my friends 4 before and I think it's pretty sweet.

2. Samsung Captivate: I'm really leaning towards this one. Awesome resolution, big screen, android based which is a huge plus because I really want an android, swipe texting and a ton more.
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...TM)+-+Black&q_sku=sku4760319#fbid=9n1yCz5fiz8

What do you guys think?

You hate the iPhone because it's trendy? :ugh:
Jailbreak the iPhone and it blows away the android. Especially if you don't want to sit next to a charger every 6 hours. :rofl:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It cracks me up that all the people at work constantly plugging their android phones in.

I'd get the iPhone 4. I'm hoping that everyone jumps to verizon when it becomes available. But really it seems like my AT&T service has gotten better the last 2 months.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
people who constantly have to charge are either a) using it heavily for work b) have no idea how to manage their apps or c) see a & b.

i can go a full day surfing tcg, sending out a ton of txts and going on the phone out of boredom. this is on the Evo which has notoriously shitty battery life.

rooting the phones and tossing on a custom rom makes it last forever. same thing as doing a jailbreak on the iphone.

i think android is a better OS but id say iphone4 in this situation.

Yeah I do, I think they're really over rated for what they are. People act like they're blessing from god just because it has a little apple logo on it when it's just a fucking phone. Plus half the people who buy them don't even use them to their full potential and just get it to say "I have an iPhone... PAH" which is a waste on AT&T's network.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Yeah I do, I think they're really over rated for what they are. People act like they're blessing from god just because it has a little apple logo on it when it's just a fucking phone. Plus half the people who buy them don't even use them to their full potential and just get it to say "I have an iPhone... PAH" which is a waste on AT&T's network.

With so many people having the iPhone, you have a shit ton of companies providing support for it. Don't worry who has the iPhone, just remember there is an enormous aftermarket surplus out there.

Hell, if you want an alarm clock with iPhone support, all you have to do is go to your local CVS/Walgreens. I don't think I have ever seen one for an evo. :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Jailbreak the iPhone and it blows away the android. Especially if you don't want to sit next to a charger every 6 hours. :rofl:

Whatever dude. How bout that world class AT&T bullshit network it has to ride on? Better battery? Whatever. I killed my iP4 just as fast as my android.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Yea that's it. The HTC evo.

This guy.
HTC-EVO-4G.jpg

With so many people having the iPhone, you have a shit ton of companies providing support for it. Don't worry who has the iPhone, just remember there is an enormous aftermarket surplus out there.

Hell, if you want an alarm clock with iPhone support, all you have to do is go to your local CVS/Walgreens. I don't think I have ever seen one for an evo. :rofl:

Call me crazy, but I'm more worried about signal and durability then what aftermarket accessories are compatible with it. That doesn't make it a good phone, that just proves the iphones trendy factor even more.

Signal issues were #1. Inability to modify the alert settings for multiple email accounts #2. The phone is an "ok" platform, but it has glaring shortcomings too. I got rid of mine at the price of the $375 term fee in <90 days of getting it.

The signal I could put up with cause every AT&T phone I've had since the iphone was released has shit signal. Plus like Joel said once the iphone hits Verizon the people who are sick of the signal now will probably jump ship and the signal will get better on AT&T. Since I don't check my email much either I can deal with no alerts, but I did notice that the alerts on my 3GS were pretty shitty, so I can agree with you there. So basically if you're going to use the 4 as a business phone you would say it isn't worth it?

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Signal issues were #1. Inability to modify the alert settings for multiple email accounts #2. The phone is an "ok" platform, but it has glaring shortcomings too. I got rid of mine at the price of the $375 term fee in <90 days of getting it.

Signal issues everywhere or just at work or home?

I have 3 email accounts and yes it's just a "bing" noise and a vibrate for all of them. I also have notifier that throws an icon on the status bar and lock screen if I want. I'm not sure that would be a deal breaker for me

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The signal I could put up with cause every AT&T phone I've had since the iphone was released has shit signal. Plus like Joel said once the iphone hits Verizon the people who are sick of the signal now will probably jump ship and the signal will get better on AT&T. Since I don't check my email much either I can deal with no alerts, but I did notice that the alerts on my 3GS were pretty shitty, so I can agree with you there. So basically if you're going to use the 4 as a business phone you would say it isn't worth it?

See, I don't know if I can agree with the concept that "once ppl jump to VZW, ATT signal will improve." The way I understand it, signal strength doesn't decrease with the # of devices on the network, but rather the strength of the signal created by the antennas and your distance those antennas. Granted, more channels should become available but I think I only got "please retry your call" messages 2-3x tops on ATT.

Signal issues everywhere or just at work or home?

I have 3 email accounts and yes it's just a "bing" noise and a vibrate for all of them. I also have notifier that throws an icon on the status bar and lock screen if I want. I'm not sure that would be a deal breaker for me

Signal issues EVERYWHERE. Downtown, out in my hood, driving around in the burbs, etc. I needed different notification sounds for work. I'm oncall and require the ability for an email alert to wake me up for certain messages. BING aint gonna cut it unless I get a shotgun of 25 alerts in one shot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info