IL wants people to pay taxes on online purchases

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
December 13, 2010
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Illinois wants residents to pay sales taxes on all of the gifts they buy. Online shoppers, this means you.
Illinoisans can often dodge sales taxes by shopping online, but the state is hoping to collect on those taxes next year by offering a sales tax amnesty.
A new law allows people who didn't pay sales tax on items bought online, through the mail or over the phone between June 20, 2004, and the end of 2010 to pay what they owe without penalty. The tax amnesty runs from Jan. 1 through Oct. 15.
Department of Revenue spokeswoman Sue Hofer tells the State Journal-Register that Illinois also plans to offer a more detailed worksheet on state income tax return forms to get taxpayers to pay up.
http://www.southtownstar.com/news/2962302,OnlineTax-STS-1213.article

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Wow, that is just plain stupid. Most consumers have been hit by the hard times and now you're going to expect them to pony up 8-10% of the on-line purchases they've made in the last six years?!?! I think it sucks that they would even do it for future purchases, but to go back a few years?!?!

They're going to spend a ton of money trying to gather the information and collecting the money. But I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they thought they would lose money in the process.

And to make it worse, it sounds like they want to penalize people that have done it for the last six years. How can you penalize someone for something that was legal at the time. This potential new law is HORSESHIT!!!

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I think it's saying that there currently is a law that you have to pay the sales tax on items bought out of state. They are just giving us a tax amnesty to fess up on the sales taxes that we haven't paid for the past 6 years...

I believe there is a line on the IL income tax form where you can enter this....

IL has stupid law that noone follows and can get away with it. Now they want their monies for real.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
This state can go lick my ballsack. I'm sure I've spent thousands of dollars over the last five years on the Mustang alone.

I also think it is crazy that IL thinks people keep records of on-line purchases and can even come up with an amount they think they owe. I agree with Jason05gt, it kind of sounds like they're hoping people will just send in money.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Taxin that ass!

TrainingDay.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info