New xbox?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
:repost: perhaps?

Can't see how I was the first to notice this...

xbox_kinect.jpg

Microsoft has unveiled the latest and greatest Xbox 360, along with its new no-controller-required controller, Kinect (née Project Natal).

Earlier today The Reg — in our hardware incarnation — caught a rumor from the Italian website Console Tribe about a new Xbox. We doubted it, but we're now happy to say that we were overly cautious. Redmond announced both the new XBox and Kinect during a Cirque du Soleil–studded extravaganza at Monday's E3 gamefest in Los Angeles.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/14/xbox_and_kinect/

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
:bowrofl: guess they didnt learn

If you own an Xbox 360 you know the most annoying thing about it is the RRoD. You probably know the second most annoying thing about it as well, and that is that it can scratch the sh*t out of your discs. Nothing like plopping down $60 bucks just to get home and have the game ruined because your console destroyed it.
You'd think this would be something the Microsoft would take care in their new version of the console since it seems they've taken care of many of the other issues the console had. Think again. Our intrepid E3 team tested the console out with an Alan Wake disc and then Nick decided to move it. Suddenly all hell breaks loose. Goodbye, Alan Wake.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
why would you move the system with it on anyway?

ill fix their wording, nudge, tap it, hell breathe on it and it scratches discs. ive seen countless cases of people bringing in discs to my old work with the evidence of moving the system.

now i see what you are saying, who moves a system... but heres the thing, go move any other system and see what happens.... nothing. hell i used to take my ps1 and lay it upside down mid game and nothing would happen. ive moved my ps3 while playing also, no issues. the issue comes from the fact that something as simple as bumping your entertainment center, to a dog or cat bumping into it and you have a 60 dollar coaster that used to be a game. what makes it worse is the proven articles showing that microsoft knew about this before the 360 released but they didnt wanna spend an extra few cents on a rubber piece to completely negate any issues with the system being bumped or moved. and with a new system where they can include wi fi and want to sell it as all new and no longer has issues... they leave in the 2nd biggest issue with the originals.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
for those looking for in depth specs

Anyone can take a hammer and rib-spreader to a new piece of hardware. But it takes someone like Anand Shimpi, the man behind Anandtech who has personally suffered through four out-of-warranty Xbox 360 failures, to bring sage analysis to a teardown of the new Xbox 360. His reluctant sixth Xbox 360 is the new slimster (codename Valhalla) which, for the first time, combines the CPU, GPU, and eDRAM onto a single chip -- previous Xbox 360 motherboards featured two discrete packages that split the CPU from the ATI designed Xenos GPU and eDRAM. The design allows for a single heatsink to be cooled by a single, larger fan making the new Xbox "noticeably quieter," measured at 45dB when idle or 51dB with the 1.5Gbps SATA Hitachi HTS545025B9SA00 with 8MB buffer spinning at 5400RPM -- that's down from 50dB and 54dB, respectively, as measured on late 2008 through 2010 Jasper-class 360s. Regarding power consumption, Anand measured a 50% reduction from the original 2005 Xbox 360 (25% less than Jasper-class rigs at idle, or 20% to 17% less under load) and pulled just 0.6W when "totally off" compared to the 2W of vampire power pulled by older 360s. Anand speculates that Microsoft might finally be using cheaper 40nm components. However, we shouldn't expect to see a price cut anytime soon as it will take Microsoft awhile to ramp up the material and manfucaturing cost savings. Regardless, with Kinect and several new game titles on the horizon, Anand concludes that there's still pleny of life left in the old Xbox 360 platform for those looking to make the jump.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info