The recession has officially affected me...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Just need to vent. There was a rumor going around that I was going to become pharmacy manager of a pretty busy store in the area. The pharmacy manager was currently out on maternity leave and rumor was she wasn't going to come back. Well yesterday Walgreens decided downgrade 2 pharmacy supervisors in the area. The pharmacy supervisor is in control of the 30 stores in one area. Well one of the pharmacy supervisors is taking over that store. WTF!!! So no promotion for me! Oh well.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
sucks dude, i am quite surprised you already might have had a pharmacy manager job though, thats crazy fast from what I hear, thought you needed to be on staff as a regular pharmacist for awhile. Why do you want to be a manager anyways? If its anything like osco, you don't get paid much more and its quite more headaches!
Guess its sad to see that even with how much the sector is growing, the shitty economy can still even effect pharmacy in terms of cuts and moving up.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
sucks dude, i am quite surprised you already might have had a pharmacy manager job though, thats crazy fast from what I hear, thought you needed to be on staff as a regular pharmacist for awhile. Why do you want to be a manager anyways? If its anything like osco, you don't get paid much more and its quite more headaches!
Guess its sad to see that even with how much the sector is growing, the shitty economy can still even effect pharmacy in terms of cuts and moving up.

I guess I do good work. They send me to all the shitty stores to clean up the messes made there by the shitty pharmacists. If I got this managment spot, I'd be making about 30k more including the bonus. Big enough raise for me to want the spot.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I guess I do good work. They send me to all the shitty stores to clean up the messes made their by the shitty pharmacists. If I got this managment spot, I'd be making about 30k more including the bonus. Big enough raise for me to want the spot.

30k raise? Whooeee... I'd be upset too.That's a decent chunk of change.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
so in the medical field, the recession is making it difficult for employees to move up, whereas in most other fields, it's making it difficult for employees to hold the job they currently have...

That alone makes it worth the hours and hours of studying and sleepless nights along with paying a shitload for your education.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
so in the medical field, the recession is making it difficult for employees to move up, whereas in most other fields, it's making it difficult for employees to hold the job they currently have...

Not exactly. 1000 people "voluntarily" left Walgreens coporate over the last 2 weeks, and 1000 more will be involunitarily let go this month. I believe 02SSei was talking about his job possibly being in jeapordy because of cuts at his hospital.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Sorry to hear about that Turk. I never thought it would effect me either but sure enough this year I got a letter from the company saying that no raises will be given this year.

I'm waiting for that next. Every week the CEO sends out a "letter" to the employees. 2 weeks ago he was reflecting on how Walgreens dealt with the great depression. He stated that back then, the company did a 10% pay decrease across the board. I don't think that will happen, but would really suck if it did.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Not exactly. 1000 people "voluntarily" left Walgreens coporate over the last 2 weeks, and 1000 more will be involunitarily let go this month. I believe 02SSei was talking about his job possibly being in jeapordy because of cuts at his hospital.

i would picture walgreens as a whole more of a retail chain, as most of, if not all of their profits come from convience items sold there. That market, or retail in general, is hurting.

Now people popping pills to stay alive, that demand is steady. That is what you luckily got yourself into, and props to that too!

Dan on the other hand, i heard about that, and im not sure exactly what he does there...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
i would picture walgreens as a whole more of a retail chain, as most of, if not all of their profits come from convience items sold there. That market, or retail in general, is hurting.

Now people popping pills to stay alive, that demand is steady. That is what you do.

Dan on the other hand, i heard about that, and im not sure exactly what he does there...

65-70% of walgreens profits come straight from the pharmacy.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
profits or revenue? b/c i thought the margins on pharmaceutical outlets were slim...

I thought the same too, but I've been told numerous times by upper management that the majority of profit comes from pharmacy. I'm not sure about the exact numbers. Margins are getting smaller and smaller every year though, no doubt about that.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I thought the same too, but I've been told numerous times by upper management that the majority of profit comes from pharmacy. I'm not sure about the exact numbers. Margins are getting smaller and smaller every year though, no doubt about that.

It's only going to get worse over the next few years too. I hate to say it :(

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
profits or revenue? b/c i thought the margins on pharmaceutical outlets were slim...

holy fuck its not even funny the PROFITS they make off of it... revenue, not as much as you would think, but damn, profit, you would think about opening up your own pharmacy these days...

just look at the 4 dollar generics that walmart etc are offering... they are still making a profit off those

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
holy fuck its not even funny the PROFITS they make off of it... revenue, not as much as you would think, but damn, profit, you would think about opening up your own pharmacy these days...

just look at the 4 dollar generics that walmart etc are offering... they are still making a profit off those

kev, Profit = revenue - cost ....

and actually, they don't make much profit, if any at all. it brings people into their stores, with hope of them making other purchases, even other pharmaceutical purchases there. making the little or no profit from the cheap generics overseen. so it's a marketing scheem (not scam), those $4 or ive even seen free, generics...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
sorry the revenue i was speaking of was comparing what the pharmacy brings in vs the store itself

at jewel-osco its pretty much 50/50 last I heard, where as with walgreens im sure the pharmacy is up on that deal

for the generics, some of those pills costs cents or fractions of cents to produce and we had one of my coworkers buy something generic at cost and it was like 21 cents for 30 tablets...

obviously brand drugs dont make as much even though they sell for much more, the generics is where its at for profit margins

on paper and % wise, per product the pharmacy has insane #s compared to the other items sold in the store, not matter where

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

There are days that i don't know what i do there. I'm a tech in the float pool at the hospital. Floors that don't have their own tech for a shift go to a staffing meeting each shift and fight over who gets to have one of us work on their floor so they can have adequate staffing. In turn i get paid more than the floor techs since i have no idea where I'm working until i get there and can be floated mid shift to any dept they choose. The medical field has been fucked for years due to medicare ass reaming hospitals on how much they are willing to pay and all sorts of loopholes that allow them to not pay at all. This current economic crisis is leading to more people being unemployed and not having health insurance so we have to deal with more medicare/medicaid patients and aren't compensated nearly as much by medicare/aid as we would be from patients who have private health insurance. I got a really informative email about this a month ago but no longer have it unfortunately. Bottom line, Healthcare jobs aren't going anywhere but a lot of corners are getting cut. Due to the fact that we are understaffed pretty frequently i don't think i am losing my job but i may be getting absorbed by a floor and losing a little bit of money and flexibility in how i am scheduled.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info