So a foreclosed home... educate me please!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Ok so obviously I know they are cheap... but once you buy one is it like a salvage title on a car or something???

I guess I don't understand how the value on the house will be affected down the road

for example, out here at school my g/f shows me one 80k to buy. If I decide to sell it in 5 years or something, will the price of it be that over the original value or will it be worht like 1/2 of the price it "should" be kinda like a salvage title on a house?

I really don't know how it all works, but just know you can get some crazy deals on a foreclosed home these days. Rather than pay 800 bucks in rent a month, why not pay 800 bucks a month morg towards a home right??

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I won't be affected down the road, the reason they are sold for cheap, is the bank wants to get rid of it quick, and sometimes they sell it for the principal that was left on the loan, aka a person bought home for 200k, paid off 80k, now the bank is gonna sell it for 120k to get rid of it quick and still break even...... oversimplified i know, but you get the idea

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
From my understanding, it's basically as it was stated. The bank wants to get rid of it to try and get the money that was owed. Buying a foreclosed home shouldn't effect the value of the house. You basically get a dirt cheap home because somebody else couldn't afford it. Say our economy picks back up and it's a sellers market, then you will be getting a profit from what you paid on the foreclosed home.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
It isn't like the infomercials though, they won't go lower than they think they could get, like if the house in the above example would sell for more than 120k, for sure they would, just in todays economy, many banks are tring to not hold on to property, and willing to sell at cost, to not loose money (like the value going down even further than it would).........

You also have people now though, selling before going into foreclosure, usually those you get the best deals, cause the want more, but will settle for just more than they owe to not have a foreclosure on their credit

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Ok so you have a neighborhood full of $200-220,000 houses (for example) and there's a foreclosed house in the mist of them... ok, so you can make an offer on the foreclosed house for 150,000 but don't think just because it's a foreclosed house that the bank is going to take the offer. They'll still turn down low balls, they aren't hurting as much as those stupid commercials want you to think, BUT, that doesn't mean they won't take it either. There are so many factors that go in, it's just not even funny. It's everything that's been said so far plus this, and most likely plus even more...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It's just like the commercials I hear on the radio. I just bought a 4 bedroom, 2 car garage house for 30k dollars!!! YAY!!!! What a joke, foreclosed houses do usually sell for cheaper, but these stupid commercials are making it sound like you can buy a forclosed house by just charging it on your visa.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
It's just like the commercials I hear on the radio. I just bought a 4 bedroom, 2 car garage house for 30k dollars!!! YAY!!!! What a joke, foreclosed houses do usually sell for cheaper, but these stupid commercials are making it sound like you can buy a forclosed house by just charging it on your visa.

Yup...There's a lot of small things that are factored in. On a foreclosed house, you CAN get it for a lot cheaper than the value. BUT doesn't necessarily mean the bank will take the offer. Another factor is that it depends HOW LONG the house has been on the market. If the bank has a foreclosed house that's been on the market for a while (let's say about a year or so), then you have a better chance at getting it for a cheaper cost than the value. The bank will most likely just want to get rid of it.

There's a lot of things that go into buying a house. Foreclosed or not. The bank will still run a background/credit check regardless the cost of the home. You still have to put so much money down (especially because the way our economy is), and if your credit isn't all that great, then you probably most likely won't get approved. (thanks to the economy)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008

F-cking x2, i can't tell you how many people i've talked to that think they can charge a GD house on their credit card lol. Their smiles turn right around as soon as i enlighten them on the truth haha. In this world, if it's too good to be true, it is.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
they usually need more work and may have back taxes or something i think. it's nothing like a salvage title that has some stigma on the record. do not be so foolish to assume that in 5 years it's going to be worth double what you pay for it or even more than what you pay for it. and you'll have to pay taxes and maintain it. historically homes have increased at the same rate as inflation. if i was to make an offer today it would be for an inflation adjusted value based on a 2001 or prior sales. i would not expect to purchase a home to make money, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket i'd put the brunt in short term treasuries or a high yield checking account and another chunk in gold/silver.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

In Gary Indiana. :rofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I'm sure more foreclosed homes will be popping up. It might sound like a deal compared to other homes in the area but like other people have said, the bank might just want a quick sale. I hear alot of the times, the foreclosed homes need alot of work, because people trash them before they get kicked out. Im not a Realtor, that's just what I hear. As with anything you see for sale, if its been on the market for days, its not a deal. If it was, it would have been sold already. Because of the internet thousands of people have access to view stuff.

Mccarlin

A Blown V10 WHAT?!?!?
Jan 17, 2008
NW Burbs
There are a lot of foreclosed homes that are in perfect condition, the owners just went delinquent and the bank took over. I've been looking at getting a foreclosed home for a while now, its very hard. Each house will have multiple offers and the bank takes the best one (obviously). It's like a huge bidding war for these cheap foreclosed homes.

There are some really good deals out there though.

andcbii

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2008
One problem with foreclosed houses is that a lot of the time they are in poor condition. If the people who used to live there couldn't afford their mortgage they probably couldn't keep up with general maintenance. You might be able to buy the house for 25k less then the market value but you might have to put that much back into the house in repairs. i bought a house last year that was a foreclosed house for about 50k less then other houses in the area. but in the last year i've had to get the roof redone, replace the front door, replace a bunch of windows, garage door, breaker box, and some plumbing related things, eg sump pump and water heater.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
One problem with foreclosed houses is that a lot of the time they are in poor condition. If the people who used to live there couldn't afford their mortgage they probably couldn't keep up with general maintenance. You might be able to buy the house for 25k less then the market value but you might have to put that much back into the house in repairs. i bought a house last year that was a foreclosed house for about 50k less then other houses in the area. but in the last year i've had to get the roof redone, replace the front door, replace a bunch of windows, garage door, breaker box, and some plumbing related things, eg sump pump and water heater.

I do drain tile and foundation repair for work...(at least when there is work). I could have done the sump pump for ya. :bigthumb:

On a related topic. I know of a house that's for sale (well not sure anymore) that was selling for $150k in Wonderlake. The houses in the subdivision is worth $250k +. The owners I guess just want to get rid of it. (they haven't put it on the market yet, though. But they told my friends dad about it). House is huge. If I had the money/income right now...(at least a stable income), I would go for it.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
but what also sucks, is when houses in those neighborhoods go for usually around 200k-220k and some sells desperately for 130k-150k, it hurta the value of that neighborhood immensely.

Same thing happened in my neighborhood... family sold their home, which was the same model as my families, out of desperation for well 125k what it was worth. We had just then a refinanced and our houses value took a large drop b/c that house sold for so low...

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
originally the bank was trying to sell my house for 140k 1-1/2yrs ago noone bought and when i looked at it they wanted 70k.... i put a bid in for 57k and they look it. The market is down so the value of the house WILL NOT be what it should actually be when/if it goes up. Mine appraised for 60k and i've already updated it so when it goes up i will still make more than what i paid for it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info