Vacation Ideas Needed

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hi TCG,

Looking to get some ideas for a vacation in August in the Mid-west.

Must be within 8 hours of driving distance.

Looking for outdoor fun stuff, great food and breweries, scenery, etc.

Open to all suggestions.

We were thinking of going to Sturgeon bay or Green Bay and seeing the sights, or, somewhere in Michigan.

Thanks in advance TCG
-Chris

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Door County is a pretty nice area. Have gone camping up there a few times. Also have a lot of nice places to stay.

If you can handle a 9-10 hour drive I would go down to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area in TN. Love the smokies! You can get killer cabins down there for pretty cheap up in the mountains. I booked through here before and had a great time!

https://www.hearthsidecabinrentals.com/

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The "pinky" in Michigan (northwest along Lake Michigan.) Great scenic drives. Tons of outdoorsy stuff (kayaking, hiking trails, dunes, trails). More wineries, cideries, breweries than you can shake a stick at. Some great beaches too.

Traverse City to Sleeping Bear Dunes to Northport. All great areas. In "good" traffic it's a 6-6.5 hour drive.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
1. Lake of the Ozarks in MO. Stay at or near Osage Beach your first time. Rent boats, waverunners, fishing, entertainment parks, drive up boat bars / restaurants, caves, etc.

2. Traverse City, MI (or small surrounding towns such as Leland, Ann Arbor, etc)

3. Gatlingberg, TN (Smokey mountains) or Nashville, TN

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
1. Lake of the Ozarks in MO. Stay at or near Osage Beach your first time. Rent boats, waverunners, fishing, entertainment parks, drive up boat bars / restaurants, caves, etc.

2. Traverse City, MI (or small surrounding towns such as Leland, Ann Arbor, etc)

3. Gatlingberg, TN (Smokey mountains) or Nashville, TN
Slightly further than 8 hrs, but +1 for Gatlinburg area for sure. It's awesome down there

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
Door County is a pretty nice area. Have gone camping up there a few times. Also have a lot of nice places to stay.

If you can handle a 9-10 hour drive I would go down to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area in TN. Love the smokies! You can get killer cabins down there for pretty cheap up in the mountains. I booked through here before and had a great time!

https://www.hearthsidecabinrentals.com/
Just booked there.. Thanks[emoji106]

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
We just got back from a run in MI, started at Copper Harbor then went south. Did Mackinac Island, Traverse City and a few others. We stayed in an RV and worked our way down. I wouldn't turn it down, our trip had some issues but we had people with us that had health problems. If you're looking at spending a few days I'd say Traverse City is nice and likely what you're looking for. There's plenty of vinyards where you can get wine etc too. I will say I've bought the most expensive bottle of wine I have ever bought there too. It was an ice wine similar to what they produce on the Rhine in Germany. Cool stuff IMO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info