Electricians - how much is typical to install a sub panel

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
IMG_4813.jpg

I added this 100amp sub panel in my garage. I have a 60amp breaker for the heater, 30amp 120v circuit and another 30amp 220v outlet for a Welder. I realize I may not be able to run Welder and heater at same time.IMG_4831.jpg

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I live in elk grove.
My panel is located in my garage

Sorry I meant where in your house would you like the sub-panel? Right next to your existing main panel? Or like I did, a remote sub panel. I had to run 1” emt conduit with #4 wire. That would add cost to the job. My sub panel is about 90’ away. It was probably $400 in material with conduit, fittings, panel, breakers and wire. Would take an electrician who can bend conduit better then I about 4hrs. Your looking at a $1-$1200 job like said above. If your going to just add a sub panel right to your existing panel cut that cost in half.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
do a load calc to determine if you really need 200 amp service. Also keep in mind if your AHJ follows the newer NEC they probably require AFCI breakers for new work.

I actually just did this myself, remodeled our kitchen and needed more circuits to bring it to code. My panel was full and we debated upgrading to 200 amp service and new panel vs. just adding a small sub panel next to the main. Wasn't worth it to me to have new service conductors trenched. All my appliances are gas, the highest draw is A/C 30amps. Adding a 60amp subpanel adjacent to my 100amp main panel made more sense. The most expensive cost was those damn AFCI breakers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info