drywall pros step in

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
need some advice with patching a ceiling. I removed a non bearing wall and attempted to patch the ceiling. After a couple weeks it started to crack in a couple places. I think it failed for 2 reasons, I didn't secure with enough screws, and I used the wrong mud/tape. I used ready mixed dust control joint compound. The stuff is very soft, not enough glue/hardener. I'm also getting a lot of mixed feedback on mesh tape vs. paper. I used fibafuse tape.

Well I ripped it all out and started over. I reinstalled new strip of drywall and screwed everything 6-8", being careful not to break the paper. Much more secure. I now need to re-tape and do the first coat of mud. I think if I stick with mesh tape, I need to use a setting compound (like easy sand 20, 45, 90)? For the next two coats, all purpose joint compound? Forget the mesh and go with paper?

Thanks

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I prefer durabond for the bedding coat, especially with mesh and if there is some gaps between the patch and the drywall. Easy Sand will also work, but has a little more shrinkage than durabond IMO.

Then after that I do a coat with tinted all purpose, then the final skim coat with non-tinted.

With you just doing a small patch I would forgo the tinted mud to see where you worked previously.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Durabond and Easy Sand are essentially the same shit and either one will work.
You hit the nail on the head on what your issues were. I have used both paper and mesh and never had issues with either. More of a personal preference imo. When I painted full time we only used "ready mix" for minor patching. Never used it on tape joints or corner bead.

I'm not an expert, just speaking from past experience and what I do around my house.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
thanks guys, Ill pick up some durabond for the beading coat with mesh. How does durabond sand? I'm OK with the knife but far from pro :rofl:

Then just stock ready mix AP joint compound for top coats?

If just okay, use the easy sand.... Durabond dries like concrete... It can be sanded but not easy at all. Easy Sand isn't THAT easy to sand either but easier than durabond.

Realistically though, if you do the bed coat right you shouldn't need any sanding really.

I usually use Plus3 from the box, dump it into a bucket, add some water to thin it out some, then apply. On the ceiling of course dont thin it out too much to make it runny, but right out of the box or bucket it's pretty thick.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
If just okay, use the easy sand.... Durabond dries like concrete... It can be sanded but not easy at all. Easy Sand isn't THAT easy to sand either but easier than durabond.

Realistically though, if you do the bed coat right you shouldn't need any sanding really.

I usually use Plus3 from the box, dump it into a bucket, add some water to thin it out some, then apply. On the ceiling of course dont thin it out too much to make it runny, but right out of the box or bucket it's pretty thick.

yeah.. I'm going to get the 90 to give me sometime to work it smooth. I want to do minimal sanding. My floors were already finished so I'm quite pissed at myself that I'm redoing drywall work again. But the cracks were only going to get worse overtime.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
ended up picking up a bag of durabond from depot yesterday. I practiced on some scrap drywall to get the feel of it before going to town on the ceiling. You guys weren't kidding it sure did dry like concrete :rofl:. I feel a lot more confident this time. Thanks for the advice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info