millennials are ruining negotiating

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm moving/storing/selling stuff now and listing a ton of things on craigslist, offerup, letgo, ebay --- and the most common messages i receive on the former services are by far:

1. what is the price? on an item with a clearly listed price, which I just respond with. there is no follow up, just an empty void where I am expected to negotiate a lower price with myself.

2. what is the lowest you will go? another variation of negotiating with myself with no offer made.

this is at least 80% of the messages i get. quite frustrating. i'm going to start responding by adding $10

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
More than likely they are not millennials, but centennials

names-of-generations-1435472_v31-5b48e0cec9e77c0037f56645.png

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Basic negotiation techniques.

If I can get you to drop your price immediately, I'm doing well in the negotiation. I'll ask again if you mention any issues with the product or, just to try it again. After that, I might throw out a really low ball price to see what you do.

Negotiate. Point out the advantages of the product and stick with your price. Just pretend they're me. :smile:

Reactions: Blood on Blood

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
i get it all the time. unfortunately its become this.

i usually respond with, "im sorry, i do not negotiate with myself. we can talk about price when we are face to face."

95% of the time the conversation doesnt go any further than that. it sucks, but it is what it is.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I literally do not negotiate what so ever. If I see something I want, I ask for their PayPal and that's it. I hate beating people up over shit cause usually they don't budge so what's the point.

I rarely sell anything but when I do I get beat up and usually am tired of dealing with strokes so I let it go. Selling shit to gen pop is FTL.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I sell a ton of stuff, and that is definitely not a function of age. I get it from everyone. It's really just due to access. People don't negotiate like that in person. They normally offer 10-20% less than what it's listed for. The messages are where people get ridiculous.

Try selling a car and getting offers for trades on like guns, gaming consoles, computers, other shit no one would ever want. It's frustrating.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I sell a ton of stuff, and that is definitely not a function of age. I get it from everyone. It's really just due to access. People don't negotiate like that in person. They normally offer 10-20% less than what it's listed for. The messages are where people get ridiculous.

Try selling a car and getting offers for trades on like guns, gaming consoles, computers, other shit no one would ever want. It's frustrating.

mine is all online, probably 80 listings now in 6 weeks? one no bullshit guy bought something for list, $900 at that. 80% is conservative for imbeciles wanting me to negotiate with myself though.

i was in/out of being an ebay powerseller and did a lot of buy/sell on ebay, forums, craigslist in 2002-2004. never dealt with anything like this. my bro is of the same opinion that people have become way shittier at this.

should be a boon for decent buyers - as i'm so fatigued from dealing with tools

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
My funniest responses were when I was selling my PT Cruiser for $1,000. I had one lady that wanted me to bring the car to her because she couldn’t make it out there.
When you sell cars that cheap, they really come out of the woodwork. I was selling a Probe for like $700 a few years ago and I had some dude call me up and give me a sob story about how he needed to get back to Tennessee and was a disabled vet and wanted me to give it to him for free.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
mine is all online, probably 80 listings now in 6 weeks? one no bullshit guy bought something for list, $900 at that. 80% is conservative for imbeciles wanting me to negotiate with myself though.

i was in/out of being an ebay powerseller and did a lot of buy/sell on ebay, forums, craigslist in 2002-2004. never dealt with anything like this. my bro is of the same opinion that people have become way shittier at this.

should be a boon for decent buyers - as i'm so fatigued from dealing with tools
Where are you selling? FB and CL get you the biggest insects.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
i'm going to start responding by adding $10

This.

I was at an Estate sale with my family. My daughter found something she wanted that was not marked.

She brought it to the person in charge and asked "How much?".

He responded something like $70.00. Her response was "Can you do any better"?
His response was great. He said "yeah - $80.00 now. That's MUCH better for me".

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
I started throwing shit away instead of selling it. I’d rather toss an item worth less than $100 than suck my time up answering questions already answered in the ad, low ballers and trying to schedule time to meet. Fuck it.

put all that shit in a corner, and let me know when there is a escalade full of trash i can pick up ;)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I started throwing shit away instead of selling it. I’d rather toss an item worth less than $100 than suck my time up answering questions already answered in the ad, low ballers and trying to schedule time to meet. Fuck it.

on one hand i understand that, on the other i have a hard time chucking something i know is worth money, even 5 or 10 bucks. i want it, even if it will cost me 10 of time to make it lol.

i've got a climate controlled 5x5 storage unit and an outdoor one of the same size. hoping to fill them with enough stuff that makes sense but not enough to run out of space and need any more... some of this stuff i def don't need, like say, my old videogame collection... at 30/mo... but if i spread that over other stuff, and consider that i'll pull it out some day, and the copy of the game i have is even MY copy, then i can kind of justify the monthly cost. at least if i pack the units with enough stuff. still probably not financially worth it, but this is how i rationalize it. outside fella i need to sell a few sets of tires out of. these 4 went on top of the 2 stacks in the background.

URp8Tsb.jpg

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I really don’t understand why this question offends so many people. Don’t we all list things higher because we expect someone to try and get us down? Don’t let emotions get involved in negotiations, you’ll lose every time.

When I get asked, I tell them the honest answer. They’ll usually then offer something lower or buy. I love the ones that offer something lower because they’re clearly interested and sometimes end up talking them back up if I’m in the mood. If I’m having a bad day I’ll piss them off lmao.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I had a weird one when I was selling my CR250. Some kid added me to a group chat with a guy selling an RM250 and then tried getting us into a bidding war or something. When we both told the kid to fuck off, he added me to a group text with 5-6 of his friends who then started showing me all these random, unrelated bikes that were listed for cheaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info