Any experience with a floating floor system??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Need a new floor for a kitchen, laundry room on a slab.
The concrete has cracked and ruined the cheap tile.
My thinking is that floating stuff will solve my issue, and to be honest, nobody I know has ever installed it.
The thinking was the underlayment would spread over the cracks so the glue doesn't tear apart the new planks.
Then I saw some say directly over the tile??
Plus I really like the plank look over tile.

Any real world experience would be appreciated, thanks Guys.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I can string it over the W/E to check how flat it is, great tip thanks.
It is a very old tiny house/cabin deal. I never really checked how flat it is.

Trying to stay with just the thin roll out underlayment I saw, so it will match the transition to carpet better.
I hate the difference there is now. I definitely don't want to go through all that.
I would just carpet it before going through all that.
I loved the carpet we had in my 1st condo.
I just really liked a grayish plank floor I saw some where, which gave me this idea.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I install a decent amount of this. How bad are the cracks? Is the concrete still moving?

I would never install it over concrete cracks unless the cracks were really small and not moving.

In my opinion, your only options that will last is carpet, and possibly tile installed with an uncoupling membrane.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I am not rebuilding the slab, it's a couple of small cracks.
It's a tiny cheap ass shack I picked up to be closer to my new shop & 41.

I needed a change and some peace & quiet on W/E's.
The place is not falling down, it ripped the cheap tile they threw down to hide the movement, not a major deal.
If they wouldn't have glued the floor so completely, I doubt I would ever know about it??
I was hoping a floating floor would update the look a little and not be effected by a couple of small cracks.
There is no raising or sinking anywhere, just small cracks in the slab.
Carpet will be fine, I'm old, I'm not trying to make 30 year plans.

Thanks for the advice.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

I am not rebuilding the slab, it's a couple of small cracks.
It's a tiny cheap ass shack I picked up to be closer to my new shop & 41.

I needed a change and some peace & quiet on W/E's.
The place is not falling down, it ripped the cheap tile they threw down to hide the movement, not a major deal.
If they wouldn't have glued the floor so completely, I doubt I would ever know about it??
I was hoping a floating floor would update the look a little and not be effected by a couple of small cracks.
There is no raising or sinking anywhere, just small cracks in the slab.
Carpet will be fine, I'm old, I'm not trying to make 30 year plans.

Thanks for the advice.

I can't blame you there. Just keep your eyes open for something that could be the cause. Pay attention to how water runs away from the fountain.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

The north side has a good slope away, the rest is kind of flat, but no pooling at all.
It's just an old house/shack on a slab, and it has 2 cracks that split the tile.
Like I said, if they would have done a better job covering up the problem area, I probably would never know.
Built in 1950, so I'm sure the base work was not as strong as a modern build.
Also doing a roof this year for sure, and it's time for doors and windows if I get my butt in gear!!
It's drafty as heck.

Still planning to move to Indiana, but most of my work is downtown & north side, so that's delayed a little to save on drive time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info