Good, fun car for $5k

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Tired of waiting on my coworker to produce title for his G35 I agreed to buy from him (for my 18yo).

So he’s graduating on Sunday, and he needs a car.

We are going shopping Thursday, he’s got 1500-2k to put down. Want to finance about 5k max so he can establish some credit.

In that range, what would be a fun car? He’s partial to a 3 series, I think if he sticks with a 325-330i insurance won’t kill him.

Looking for ideas

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
1988 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe for sale near White House, Tennessee 37188 - Classics on Autotrader
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1988/chevrolet/camaro/100999301

Screenshot_20190521-155335_Chrome.jpeg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Vast majority of them are rusted out heaps of crap. Was thinking a w-body...maybe Regal GS or MCSS...both are more likely pampered than the Pontiac...plus the regal was still out there to 2005/06 IIRC.

I think it might be too big also. He's looking for a hatch size car over a mid-size.

I think you mean that they're all beat the crap out of because of the kids that get them and mod the shit out of them, kinda like the Neon SRT-4 camp.

They are all the same and under normal conditions we have here, should all wear pretty much the same.

I've had countless Monte's, Grand Prix's, Impala's, Lumina's, etc... on that platform and no one of them "wore" any worse than the other. I'll throw out the bigger H-Body platform stablemate too... The Bonneville SSEi, etc...

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Miata - RWD , Fun , reliable , good aftermarket.

I approve of a 3 series but at that price and for a young person I’d be concerned with the level of maintenance and care such a car may command

Also - are decent S197 GT’s in that range? I don’t think they’re quite that inexpensive yet.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Acura TSX with the manual
Honda Civic Si (8th gen, 2006-2011)
GTI VR6, like mid-2000s
Mini Cooper S turbo cars are in this range, but mostly heaps from what I've read as far as maintenance and repair. Riots to drive when new.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
350z or G35 are out there for cheap all day long.

Mazdaspeed 3 would be a stretch. But they can be fun with a good aftermarket. Less likely to put into a tree because fwd but still fun imo.

240sx's are pretty beat up and most are electrical basket cases which aren't the most fun to deal with plus drift tax/rust.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
My then teenage son wanted a BMW also. We found lots of cheap ones but insurance was absurd. Might want to get a quote. For some reason old Audi’s aren’t bad with insurance and jeeps. We ended up buying a used FRS ( prolly hated more on TCG than the beloved SHO). Almost 30mpg and not enough HP to be on street outlaws. Insurance was cheaper than a bmw.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
You’re going to finance a car for an 18 year old?

Take the 2k you have and get an older Taurus or Impala. Pay cash and save thousands on insurance costs.

A camaro? Lol
Yes, I don’t mind co-sign on a car I can still afford myself if need be. It’ll help him establish credit quick. He’s currently working 2 jobs

And it’s not going to be a Camaro or mustang

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info