Ultrasonic pest deterrents

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Someone in our neighborhood is using one of these devices. It's really starting to annoying some of those that live in close proximity. They're using it to deter some mice/voles that have taken home in our area. I thought the purpose of these devices was to put a sound that's inaudible to humans, but annoys small rodents.

It's an audible beep about every 20-30 seconds. We can't sit outside or leave windows open without hearing the constant beeping. I think someone is going to politely ask them to turn off said devices.

One of my former neighbors used some similar, but just as annoying. When we moved, we thought we were finally getting away from such devices.

I don't see any study where they've confirmed these devices do jack shit...other than annoy the fuck out of anyone that isn't completely deaf. I'm pretty sure I don't have super-hearing.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I highly doubt it's one of the ultrasound units beeping

Also those things don't work fyi

One of our neighbors called the builder and they confirmed it is one of those devices. It sounds more like a low battery alert on a smoke detector. I think a few of us will be nice about asking them to turn it off. But if the person refuses, we'll take it up with the association. If that fails, I think neighbors will take things into their own hands.

Nothings worse than trying to enjoy a nice evening on the patio with that constant beeping. We also enjoy sleeping with the windows open. Last night we had to really turn up our 'rain storm' sleep thingy to drown it out.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ours are hardwired in (which is another beef. The manufacturer's keep changing the fucking plug, so you have to actually re-wire the fucking thing...)

Anyway, If it is a combo detector (smoke alarm and Carbon Monoxide detector), the Carbon Monoxide portion does go bad, somewhere in the 5 - 10 year range and needs to be replaced.

The neighbor has had theirs chirping for 2 or 3 years now. Every time they open their door, or say if the garage door is open, you can hear it chirp. Both my Wife and I are like... DaFuq...

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
The smoke detectors in our neighborhood are hard-wired into the house electric with a battery back-up. I guess it still might beep if that battery is low. The homes are only 2-3 years old.

My detectors are hard wired with battery back ups. Seems like every year the damn thing beeps with a battery being low. It gets annoying.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't get how people can stand to listen to the chirping. We've been listening to it for a month and it's still like nails on the chalkboard to me.

It chirps once for me and I have the thing out of the wall/ceiling. I couldn't fathom letting it go that long... But the father isn't around and his early 20's something kids live there with the mom (who he is divorced from) and they're lazy fuckers.

When it snows out, the mother is out there shoveling... Not one of the boys. in the spring/summer, when the grass needs mowing, the dad has to do it because the boys would rather sit in the house on their video games than go to the shed and get the mower out and at least help. The younger one just went in to the Army, so we're hoping that knocks some sense and change in attitude in to him. So yea, it never occurs to any of them to get the ladder out and fix it.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't get how people can stand to listen to the chirping. We've been listening to it for a month and it's still like nails on the chalkboard to me.

I'm trying to chase down a neighbor's buzz too. It sounds like a humming electric pump on the outside of the house. Not sure if it's from their house or one of the city's boxes in their yard, but it's a constant humming that started after the bad rains last week. Jackie can't hear it that well. It's annoying the piss out of me - can't open the windows at night. I also hear this slight diesel-like, low-frequency pulsating noise at night that no one else hears. Maybe I'm just going crazy. :jg:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I'm trying to chase down a neighbor's buzz too. It sounds like a humming electric pump on the outside of the house. Not sure if it's from their house or one of the city's boxes in their yard, but it's a constant humming that started after the bad rains last week. Jackie can't hear it that well. It's annoying the piss out of me - can't open the windows at night. I also hear this slight diesel-like, low-frequency pulsating noise at night that no one else hears. Maybe I'm just going crazy. :jg:
Do you have septic systems in your neighborhood?

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
The smoke detectors in our neighborhood are hard-wired into the house electric with a battery back-up. I guess it still might beep if that battery is low. The homes are only 2-3 years old.

yea they still beep and those builder grade systems are junk.. ripped all mine out due to some weird electrical issue that made them beep even when the batteries were just replaced. Out of the gate if one is low it caused more than just that one to beep (maybe by design?).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info