Would you live the #vanlife if you could?

Would you live the #vanlife?

• Yes

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So its come up a few times, and I off and on watch videos on transforming vehicles into basically mini campers. I however look at it for the camping aspect, but more people are starting to live their lives like this. No home. Just you, and you modified vehicle. Wherever you want to go.

So lets say you do have a job, but its a satellite position so no real office per say or you dont have to report to an office on the daily, and single with no kids. Would you live in a van, and possibly park down the river?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have watched a few of those vanlife videos, and almost nobody has a shower. I know they get cheap gym memberships so they can use those showers, but that is the at most important thing for me. IDGAF about living space, I gotta have me a good shower and a reliable shitter. Now, the ones that do have showers built in are enticing as F.

You need to be a certain kind of person to live the vanlife, kind of hippie-ish.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I have watched a few of those vanlife videos, and almost nobody has a shower. I know they get cheap gym memberships so they can use those showers, but that is the at most important thing for me. IDGAF about living space, I gotta have me a good shower and a reliable shitter. Now, the ones that do have showers built in are enticing as F.

You need to be a certain kind of person to live the vanlife, kind of hippie-ish.

I know what you mean. Ive seen ones with and without toilets and showers. If it were just for camping purposes, Id probably skip out on that and use the space for something else. Living, Id want it. Id need it.

You would be surprised at some of the people on YT that talk about it. Like the least hippie looking people.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Bugs, degenerate neighbors, carrying piss and crap to a disposal site, no internet, running the engine all night for heat and cooling, no showers, no privacy, etc.

Sounds great. :rolleyes:

I want to go through your list and explain my thinking.

Bugs - Do you have a bug problem now in your home? Close the door. :rofl: They make screen doors as well as screens for windows. Bugs. :rofl:

Degenerate Neighbors - You have 4 wheels. What degen neighbors? You can have new neighbors every night, or drive far enough to have none.

Waste disposal - This is a down. However, the price you pay to go anywhere.

Internet - You have your phone right? There are unlimited plans with quite a bit of speed. Not Comcast blast speed, but my phone with Verizon's "basic" unlimited is around 20MBPS for download. You would be surprised at how many people have slower connections for their home.

Heat and air - You dont have to run your engine for heat and air if you set up your van correctly. Especially with solar panels, batteries and inverters. Plus Im not vanlifing in FL where its stupid god damn hot and humid. LOL.

Shower - You CAN build a shower in a van. It will take up space and will cost, but it is doable. Or set up an exterior shower with a barrier.

Privacy - We have these things called curtains. :dunno:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ohh, and if the chips were in where I could, I would.

I look at all the crap Ive collected over the years and most of it just sits there. Its there for me to clean and be in the way and look at and be nostalgic about something for a hot second. Pictures do that too. Ive told my wife that we need to trim down some of our belongings since we should not have a 2 bedroom condo bursting at the seams with stuff all over the place.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
184004d83240ddf020d4b755dfdc690d.jpg

MotherfuckinghellyesIwould!!!!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Van life is popular here. Everything from $200k+ earthroamers and quigley 4x4 converted vans to pro master van diy conversions.

I’d do it if I could but I couldn’t. People do some pretty cool stuff though. I have a friend with a promaster with a full solar setup that runs both heat and an ac unit. No running the engine needed. He’s missing a toilet though (other than honey pot style). Plenty of room for him, his wife and dog to sleep and cook/eat in and also a full “garage” area for bikes and gear.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Well, can I haz a 1800 sq ft pole barn to keep the toys?

If so then sure.

You can haz a yuuuuuge deezul as your van.

I would 100% give this a go. If we had year round non-frozen water, I’d have done this on a boat already.

I think the #boatlife would be fun too. I hate how movies and TV shows have places like Seattle and Chicago and other places where people live on a boat. For serious? Can you even leave your boat in the water on the lake year round? :rofl:

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I went down this YouTube rabbit hole recently as well. Back in 2015 I was considering getting a Winnebago and hitting the road when I was laid off but things were serious with the girlfriend and now I married her so I’m glad I didn’t.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Holy crap, I just searched Earthroamer, and they look cool as hell. Dont know if I would be down for spending $500K on one though.
Yea they’re ridiculous. Their shop is just outside of Denver so I’ve seen some rolling around (and I’ve posted a few randomly on the site)

Thread Info