Anyone else get flooded?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
We got it bad in the basemen. Still cleaning up the mess.
All of our storage and stuff we haven't used in awhile is trashed.
I have to call and make a claim. How is this stuff usually handled? I should have taken pictures but I already threw out a bunch of stuff as I didn't even think about documenting it.
Any tips? Do they usually just replace what was lost? Do I have to provide an estimated value? How do they work with priceless items? Or things you have been saving that will have value but not large value as of yet?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
precip.png

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
You have flood insurance? I doubt regular homeowners is going to cover anything unless theres a rider on the policy.

I had it happen to me the night the Hawks won their last Cup.
I wound up doing 90% of the work myself because I didnt have flood insurance.
Took me and my Dad almost the whole summer (weekends only)
I dropped my agent shortly after that. We were with him probably 10 years and he knew we had a fully finished basement. Never once did he suggest adding flood to our coverage.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
aaaand email sent to my agent.
I don't have a basement but I have a lower level- one side of it is even with the ground outside. It's finished has a bathroom, bedroom, sitting area, etc.

Everything is good currently of course, but if water were to get in there, am I covered or do I need some sort of flood coverage for this?

Like if my sump pump gave up life or whatever?

aaaaaaaaaaannnd now im shopping leak detectors on amazon.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
sorry to hear that but unless you have flood insurance its probably not covered. Homeowners usually only covers flooding from a broken pipe, and sometimes sewer backup.

Yeah there’s a difference between flooding from water/sewage backup when the water comes up through the sump hole or pipe - like from a broken sump (water/sewer coverage). And from the outside through and exterior wall or window (flood coverage). I don’t think either are frequently standard policy items.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

You have a sump pump even though none of the house is technically below ground level? Interesting

It's time for me to buy a battery backup...my sump pump has been a champ but it's getting up there in age (6 years)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Yeah there’s a difference between flooding from water/sewage backup when the water comes up through the sump hole or pipe - like from a broken sump (water/sewer coverage). And from the outside through and exterior wall or window (flood coverage). I don’t think either are frequently standard policy items.

YEAH. that's exactly what i just learned when my email got replied.

welp. tack on more state farm payments. :fu:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You have a sump pump even though none of the house is technically below ground level? Interesting

It's time for me to buy a battery backup...my sump pump has been a champ but it's getting up there in age (6 years)

Yes I have a sump pump, no, my house has portions below ground level, my house is built into a bit of a hill.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

I can answer that for you. No, it's not covered. You will need to add sump pump rider to your homeowners policy and then let them know how much coverage you want. My basement is unfinished, but I added $10K as that's where my furnace, washer/dryer, and extra fridge is.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004

I got one of these babies a number of years ago:
https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Wayne-WSS30V-Sump-Pump/p7283.html

It's a primary 120v 1/2 hp pump with a separate 12v backup pump.
The thing is ready built and all you need to do is drop it in and connect it to your pipe.

The main pump is absolutely silent which is a big change from my old pump which used to vibrate the floor when it activated. Can't even hear this one, even when you're standing next to it.

Worth every penny.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
YEAH. that's exactly what i just learned when my email got replied.

welp. tack on more state farm payments. :fu:

I can answer that for you. No, it's not covered. You will need to add sump pump rider to your homeowners policy and then let them know how much coverage you want. My basement is unfinished, but I added $10K as that's where my furnace, washer/dryer, and extra fridge is.

yeah i already said that

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Guess I posted too soon. Just talked to the insurance company
I have water back up insurance up to $5k
They do NOT cover repairs. Only lost personal items.
So the new sump pump and water transfer pump I bought I loose out on. The first flood part due to the sump pump and the other part due to water leaking in from under the pipe where it leaves the house. Its caulked inside and outside but I guess not all that well. And I can't get a caulk gun on the bottom of that pipe.
The drain outside is fucked by tree roots. Who would I hire to drop a new one? They won't pay for that either.
They also said to just wash the clothes that got wet....no they got flooded in dirty ass water. How about I wash them and you wear them. Get real.
they will pay for the time I spent to clean it all up. Shit I can have days upon days upon days of cleaning this up. It's not a few hour project.
And take pics of everything so they can value it. I'm like WTF when there is a flood and I'm taking shit out of there the last thing I'm going to stop and do is take fucking pictures

Also does anyone know if concrete can get mold? Wife is having a heart attack about it because she is a really bad asthmatic.

EDIT: I also want a flood detection kit but they all have shit reviews.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info