WiFi vs Wired speeds?

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I Just bought a new Lenovo laptop and tested out the speed differences between WiFi and wired. And holy shit. There’s a 100 mb difference. LOL.

The laptop is literally a few feet away from the router too.

I have the Xfinity internet 150 mb with “blast”.

Wired I get around 180 mb. I also consistently get 180 with the Xbone wired.

WiFi 80. Sometimes 100. But rarely.

Is that normal or is there better WiFi routers that give faster speeds.

I have an older Netgear router.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
This is a loaded question. There are several variables to consider. Without seeing the channel settings and your overall settings on the router, its hard to tell if you are leaving anything on the table. But a new device should be able to achieve much faster transfer speeds than 100mbps. If you are on 802.11ac wireless, you are likely connected at 400mbps to your access point if you are that close. And there is not that much overhead on wireless to drop you 300mbps.

You might fare better with an aftermarket 802.11ac wireless switch from bestbuy. Ask Comcast to put your gateway into bridge mode, and use your aftermarket wireless. Or get a wireless gateway compatible with comcast from best buy.

But nowadays if you have a new macbook pro and have 160mhz channel enabled on wireless, you can run 1333mbps which is faster than the wire in the best of conditions. Thats only on a macbook pro though so far. Not sure if any PC laptops will connect faster than 866mbps on a 160mhz 5g channel? I havent seen one.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Don't forget that wifi bandwidth per channel is a hub configuration basically (that bandwidth gets shared between devices) while a switch has per port bandwidth.

But you are still choked at a single pipe with wire as well. Your trunk to the router, or basically your internet connection going out.

If you are sharing a channel with other devices, there is no bandwidth sharing. Its called airtime fairness, and the devices are made to wait to talk. They are not talking over eachother or sharing bandwidth on the same channel unless they are connected to two or more different wireless controllers broadcasting on the same channel. Then you run into the hidden node problem.

802.11ax or Wifi 6 will have new standards that allow single channels to be broken up, and shared with multiple devices. But again they will never talk at the same time, or over eachother. Thats not how wireless works.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
But you are still choked at a single pipe with wire as well. Your trunk to the router, or basically your internet connection going out.

If you are sharing a channel with other devices, there is no bandwidth sharing. Its called airtime fairness, and the devices are made to wait to talk. They are not talking over eachother or sharing bandwidth on the same channel unless they are connected to two or more different wireless controllers broadcasting on the same channel. Then you run into the hidden node problem.

802.11ax or Wifi 6 will have new standards that allow single channels to be broken up, and shared with multiple devices. But again they will never talk at the same time, or over eachother. Thats not how wireless works.

The upstream is true, but it seems as if in this case the upstream is more capable than the wireless is. I meant it as a point of the WiFi its self can and is a bottle neck compared to a switched system if the upstream can handle it. As a counterpoint my basic bitch Comcast 10 meg cable is not going to be pegging any routers made after the early 2000s any time soon unless I am doing file transfers between computers on the network. :rofl:

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Here’s my router.

72f605fc88fb303ea1fef145ac65ffea.jpg

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I see a black piece of plastic with Netgear on it, and a Surfboard with no model number. :dunno:

If its the 6141 then you should be ok. Thats what I have and also have blast. IIRC its rated up to 300MBPS.

Probably 2.4ghz band and older WiFi tech

Yep. That 300 MB I remember. And the 2.4 ghz is correct too. Thanks guys.

So the router posted already from Amazon is a lot better?

Should I keep that same modem.? I’m gonna keep my xfinity 150 mb service.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
[MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION]

What modem and router do you use?
Modem- Arris SB6141

Router- Ubiquiti Edgerouter X (wired, doesnt have built in access point for wifi)

Access points - Ubiquiti AC-lites and AC-in-wall for 5 ghz, Tp-link Archer C5 for 2.4ghz

I pull max comcast speed (150/12) on 5 ghz and 80/12 on 2.4ghz on the older router/access point (since i turned off the routing portion)

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I went from an older, shittier, Netgear modem than you have, to one Google Mesh device. I did have to buy a $14 Linksys switch for the 2 wired devices that I have, as the Google point only has one ethernet port. I have no problems streaming 4K wirelessly (not that I really had any issues before)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
:rofl: I left out a handful of switches and other things :rofl:

Its also because I want as many things wired as possible. Wired > Wireless always. I like powering up my Pi's over POE now. So much more convenient.

I do want to start playing with POE eventually. Things like a Pi or certain cameras would be nice running 1 cable vs 2.

Once we stop renting a condo and hopefully buy a house, my network game will move up a couple notches. Already have a 4 post rack sitting at a buddys house waiting for it to go to a permanent home and things will need to be mounted. My unraid server for sure will be moved to a rack mount case and debating on hot swappable case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info