Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Debating a weekend trip to NYC in June to take the wife to a show (Derek Hough). She loves the guy and this is the only one of his shows that I can make work.

BUT for a 2 night trip it'd be somewhere around $1500 i'm guessing. $450 flights, $400 for tickets, $450 for hotel, airport parking, ubers, dinners etc

Who's been, and was it worth the $$?

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
My experience in New York was alright.

If you have never been I'd say go for it, but I think for me personally movies and TV have romanticized New York so much that I was a little let down overall. The city smells, its dirty, people are rude, its expensive.

As for the short duration if you are motivated you can see most of the sites in 2 days easy. We did Coney Island, World Trade Center, Empire State, Wall Street, USS Intrepid, Lower Half of Manhattan in a day.

It is interesting overall but very touristy and cookie cutter in my opinion.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Sounds like a cool trip.

I personally thought NYC was overrated. Its a dirty city (trash bags all over their sidewalks since they don't have alleys), and other than the 9/11 memorial...I didn't think the sight seeing was all that special. Times Square is cool...for about 10 minutes. Chicago is better.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I went out there Thurs thru Mon for a Cubs/Yankees game about 10-12yrs ago.
We enjoyed it, did WTC, Statue of Liberty, MSG during the day and Times Square at night.
Another day we went to Atlantic City and partied in Jersey that night
You can pretty much do all that in 2 days. It is filthy though, and imo its worth doing it once.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
My experience in New York was alright.

If you have never been I'd say go for it, but I think for me personally movies and TV have romanticized New York so much that I was a little let down overall. The city smells, its dirty, people are rude, its expensive.

As for the short duration if you are motivated you can see most of the sites in 2 days easy. We did Coney Island, World Trade Center, Empire State, Wall Street, USS Intrepid, Lower Half of Manhattan in a day.

It is interesting overall but very touristy and cookie cutter in my opinion.

i've been only once for work training, was cold and i was busy, so little time to explore. i understand the history of the city and all, nonetheless, it's hard to go from chicago to new york and think "this is the amazing 'world class city'" when you're stepping around trash bags every single night.

nyc doesn't do anything exciting for me and never attracted me to visit before. i have changed how i travel a bit from exploring rando places to try and go places with a certain experience in mind at the destination. i think it all comes down to how much wifey will enjoy experience, 1500 seems decent enough for a weekend trip she will enjoy

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I've only been once, as a teen. drove with my parents up to Canada through Michigan, stayed in Niagara Falls one day, drove down to NYC for the afternoon and made our way down to VA to visit my sister on base, and pick up my other sister that was helping her move in.

but the afternoon we spent there was not bad. did statue of liberty, They were still cleaning up ground zero, so there was noting to see there.

that might have all we did.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Thanks for the input. I just booked it, gonna give her the tickets for mother's day (first one as a mom). It's a lot of money for a 2 day trip but I agree, it's probably worth it to do it once. I also want to see the 9/11 memorial and statue of liberty.

I wish the tickets were better....$470 for two upper balcony tickets and all the closer ones are sold out. It looks like a smaller theater so we should still be able to see well

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Do it. My GF and I took a 3 day (2 night) trip to NYC in early October and had a great time. Lots to see and do. We saw the new York philharmonic the Saturday that we were there. We didn't have much of an itinerary other than that. We visited the 9/11 memorial, walked through Central Park, went to Rockefeller center, and times square. Tons of good restaurants and places to check out.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Thanks for the input. I just booked it, gonna give her the tickets for mother's day (first one as a mom). It's a lot of money for a 2 day trip but I agree, it's probably worth it to do it once. I also want to see the 9/11 memorial and statue of liberty.

I wish the tickets were better....$470 for two upper balcony tickets and all the closer ones are sold out. It looks like a smaller theater so we should still be able to see well

Statue of Liberty tour stops at Ellis Island as well. Pretty cool excursion imo.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Used to live out there in the area (on the Joisey side...) and go back often for both business and pleasure. Been to all the normal places and then some, so it's all good. It's nice to visit.

I might recommend wearing good walking shoes. Why? You do not want to drive into, in, and out of Manhattan. It is constant gridlock and the taxi's rule the roost. So you're gonna do a lot of walking. And Manhattan is long. So it isn't like a quick jaunt up 7th or 6th avenue from say WTC (which is down around 14th St.), up to Mid-town. The Empire State building is on 34th St., Times Square is 45th I believe. Central Park is 59th if mammory serves me right. So it's a long walk. :D You can take the subway, probably want the red train (1,2,3).

NYC's street grid goes like this. Streets go east-west starting at the tip of Manhattan and counting up as you go north. Avenues go north-south starting with 1st avenue on the east side of Manhattan, counting up to 12th on the west side.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I’ve been to NYC twice and my family once.

We stayed in hotels on New Jerseys side. Much cheaper. We would take an Uber across the river and then just use the subways. Their subways are really awesome. They take you almost to anywhere you need to go. Makes Chicago’s CTA lines seem pathetic. It beat driving around Manhattan and wasting time sitting in traffic.

I had an amazing time at Yankee Stadium (old stadium)

Empire State Building is a good time. Could be a long wait though.

We did not go to the Statue of Liberty. Instead we hoped on a boat and got amazing views of it from the boat. We did not want to deal with the large crowds there.

911 Memorial is a must do. It’s emotionally moving in many ways.

Times Square is meh. Seems much larger than life on TV. Walking and driving through Central Park was fun.

Radio City Music Hall was great. The day we went. RCMH was setting up the stage for the Voice or American Idol. (I can’t recall which one).

Wall Street was cool.

Some great food stands and food trucks.

We did other things. I can’t recall though[emoji20].

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I’ve been to NYC twice and my family once.

We stayed in hotels on New Jerseys side. Much cheaper. We would take an Uber across the river and then just use the subways. Their subways are really awesome. They take you almost to anywhere you need to go. Makes Chicago’s CTA lines seem pathetic. It beat driving around Manhattan and wasting time sitting in traffic.

I had an amazing time at Yankee Stadium (old stadium)

Empire State Building is a good time. Could be a long wait though.

We did not go to the Statue of Liberty. Instead we hoped on a boat and got amazing views of it from the boat. We did not want to deal with the large crowds there.

911 Memorial is a must do. It’s emotionally moving in many ways.

Times Square is meh. Seems much larger than life on TV. Walking and driving through Central Park was fun.

Radio City Music Hall was great. The day we went. RCMH was setting up the stage for the Voice or American Idol. (I can’t recall which one).

Wall Street was cool.

Some great food stands and food trucks.

We did other things. I can’t recall though[emoji20].

We stayed in Jersey as well, 1 block of the ocean and was a lot cheaper than a NY hotel. Subway system is a must, we rode it all over the place.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
We drove and spent around $1500 and that was staying in Cleveland (twice technically since we stopped on the way back), Philly for a night, NYC for 3 nights, and Cooperstown for a night.). We didnt go north of our hotel unfortunatly and only saw 9/11 memorial, Time Square, Top of the Rock, Radio City, and did the NBC studio tour. Also went to the Nintendo store obviously. :hs:

Hotel was IIRC $205 a night plus IIRC $60 to park our car in the garage until we left. Yotel.

Thread Info