First Union Pacific Big Boy locomotive to move under its own power in almost 60 years

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 is now moving under its own power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjoMBKWW0ag

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...engine-in-the-world-going-on-a-1834509725/amp

Union Pacific 4014, also known as the one of the only 25 Big Boys ever built and only eight still in existence, is now officially the only one running in the world. Earlier we heard it blow its whistle for the first time since 1962, and yesterday evening it went for its first test run under its own power for the first time in 57 years. And weighing in at over a million pounds, it is now officially the largest running steam engine in the world
Each Big Boy wasn’t just designed to be large, weighing as much as 1,200,000 pounds, as an aesthetic thing. They were so big because they were enormously powerful, as Railway Age noted in a story about UP4014 when it was first announced that it would be restored:

Twenty-five Big Boys were built exclusively for Union Pacific by the American Locomotive Company (Alco) between 1941 and 1944, in two groups of ten and one of five. All burned coal, with large, 150-square-foot grates to burn the low-quality Wyoming coal from mines owned by the railroad. They were designed to pull long, heavy freight trains (maximum rated tonnage of 4,040 tons) at a sustained speed of 60 mph once past the Wasatch Range mountain grades on UP’s main line between Ogden, Utah, and Cheyenne. Peak horsepower was reached at about 35 mph; optimal tractive effort at about 10 mph.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
There’s one here in Denver, #4005 which was the only previously crashed.

247bd3a38a32f9d6f98e55a2d3120a85.jpg

fqso51hupnuz.jpg

1024px-Forney_Transportation_Museum.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Super cool. Would love to see that thing blasting down the tracks at 60 mph. My kid has been on a choo choo kick recently, and this channel is pretty good for steam stuff https://www.youtube.com/user/CoasterFan2105
There’s a big boy up in Green Bay and one in St. Louis FYI. Obviously not barreling down a track but it’s so insanely huge and impressive even stationary.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Fucking paradoxical... You guys, I didn't think any of you would be locomotive Fanboys like me.

I watched the streams of 4014 leaving Cheyenne last night while on its trial run down towards Greeley, Co and couldn't stop smiling because something I had been waiting to happen since 2014 has happened.

In 2016, I got to visit with #4012 which is in Scranton, PA.

Here's another fun thing: one of the GTEL Locomotives (Gas Turbine Electric) that was built to replace the 4000/Wasatch Class ("Big Boys") is at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union.

Union Pacific also sent the previous largest steam locomotive in their fleet through Rochelle on its way to West Chicago in 2002. The Challenger class #3985 (4-6-6-4) is now their second largest steam locomotive in the Union Pacific Heritage Fleet and is currently awaiting a full rebuild like #844 (4-8-4 Northern Class) and #4014 got since 2013...

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Surviving Locomotives in the 4000 Class:

4004: Holliday Park, Cheyenne, Wyoming

4005: Forney Transportation Museum, Denver, Colorado

4006: Museum of Transportation, St. Louis, Missouri

4012: Steamtown National Historic Site, Scranton, Pennsylvania

4014: Union Pacific Railroad, Cheyenne, Wyoming

4017: National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wisconsin

4018: Museum of the American Railroad, Frisco, Texas

4023: Kenefick Park, Omaha, Nebraska

More info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
I read and look at trains almost daily. Seeing #4014 up and running again tickled me in all the right places[emoji4]

I wish I could see and hear one of UP’s GTEL’s. Sadly that will never happen.
Well, theoretically, one could run again, but just the diesel helper located in the A unit... Both of the surviving B unit turbines are missing too many parts to get them running... It's sad that UP scrapped all of the 1st generation and 2nd generation (Veranda unit) GTEL variants too... At least we can still see the "Big Blows" (UP 18 and 26).

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Awesome. I am huge into Old Trains!

Got stuck in Scranton, PA, a few months ago waiting on parts.

Went straight to Steamtown, spent the day. They have Big Boy 4012 there, I must have spent an hour crawling around it taking photos. They are BIG. Too big for the roundhouse, which is why it is just parked outside where one CAN crawl all over it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamtown_National_Historic_Site

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_4012

The story on 4012 states that while it could be restored and run, the surrounding tracks, bridges, switches and general facilities could not handle the tremendous weight, so the recommendation is to remain a static display.

Love these beasts.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Another part of the rebuild of 4014 was to convert her to burn Heavy Fuel Oil (No. 5 - Bunker B) like her sister #3985 before her. The Northern 4-8-4 #844 already was an Oilburner when she was built.

Making sure that UP can use the resources that are more readily available than having to have tons of coal trucked in to its service points allows them more flexibility to have 4014 roam more of the UP system...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info