Tell me about the Fox Lake area

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Youngest Brother is retiring from the Army this summer after 22 or 23 years.
He is leaning towards the Fox Lake area. He wants to buy a boat, be close to if not on the water and have a nice chunk of land. Also wants an area with a good HS. His daughter will be going in to her Freshman year of HS. Doesnt want to spend more than $350k. He doesnt have to be on or in "Fox Lake" but in the area. Not being on the water is not a deal breaker, as mentioned above close to water would be okay.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
On the water that will be a tall ask with any decent amount of "land" but IDK what he considers land. $350,000 will go a long way for either or though. A few acres with a nice place, OR a .5 acre-ish lot on the water with a nice house.

IDK much about the schools in Fox Lake, but I do know that the Johnsburg schools are great.

He can buy my house in Johnsburg here soon if I find something I want lol.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
On the water that will be a tall ask with any decent amount of "land" but IDK what he considers land. $350,000 will go a long way for either or though. A few acres with a nice place, OR a .5 acre-ish lot on the water with a nice house.

IDK much about the schools in Fox Lake, but I do know that the Johnsburg schools are great.

He can buy my house in Johnsburg here soon if I find something I want lol.
You're over in dawnwood right?? We should maybe chat if you're moving

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Youngest Brother is retiring from the Army this summer after 22 or 23 years.
He is leaning towards the Fox Lake area. He wants to buy a boat, be close to if not on the water and have a nice chunk of land. Also wants an area with a good HS. His daughter will be going in to her Freshman year of HS. Doesnt want to spend more than $350k. He doesnt have to be on or in "Fox Lake" but in the area. Not being on the water is not a deal breaker, as mentioned above close to water would be okay.

You're not going to be "on the water" with a "nice chunk of land" anywhere you'd want to live for under 4/500k, but that's only half the story because depending where you are you'll have $15-30k in property taxes.

There's a few high schools in the area, McHenry has two, Johnsburg has one, Fox Lake has Grant, Antioch has one, Lake Villa has Lakes, then northwestish of the chain has Richmond Burton for some houses.

Grant seems like it's gotten better supposedly? I purposely bought my most recent house to stay out of that school district. Antioch and Lakes high school/school systems are some of the better in the area. McHenry is hit or miss depending who you talk to. Johnsburg is tanking because of the clique nature of the area and the way the "young" baby boomer parents aren't vacating their late 80's half acre 3,000 sq ft brown everything homes. Richmond Burton is solid it seems.

To find what he's wanting for- with a nice chunk of land, he will likely want to find a house that has a neighborhood boat slip setup or marina or something. Finding houses on the chain on more than a half acre, you're either going to pay for it, or you're going to be making compromises. Whether it's school district, potential flooding issues, a shit road to "get back to the house" etc.

I mean, frankly, what's his price range?

Also without knowing the area, MAKE FUCKING SURE the house is actually ON THE CHAIN if it's on water. A LOT of little lakes out here, don't connect, and don't allow power or have horsepower restrictions. These realtors word it fucking hilariously to if you don't know which lakes are on the chain you could get burned.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Antioch/43411-N-Lake-Ave-60002/home/17771697

5 "usable" acres
nice outbuildings
you can see the chain, but aren't on it.
although looking at the aerial, it looks like a small channel goes to the one lake... but who knows how swampy/marshy it is back there.

but get this house then get a boat slip for a grand a year at thirsty turtle marina

Turtle Beach Marina

You're a mile and a half from that marina at that house.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/434...57ba24a008!2m2!1d-88.1465225!2d42.4784896!3e0

That's a quieter nice lake too.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Antioch/43411-N-Lake-Ave-60002/home/17771697

5 "usable" acres
nice outbuildings
you can see the chain, but aren't on it.
although looking at the aerial, it looks like a small channel goes to the one lake... but who knows how swampy/marshy it is back there.

but get this house then get a boat slip for a grand a year at thirsty turtle marina

Turtle Beach Marina

You're a mile and a half from that marina at that house.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/434...57ba24a008!2m2!1d-88.1465225!2d42.4784896!3e0

That's a quieter nice lake too.

My wife would move to Antioch for this

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info