Need help getting three monitors to work

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Monitor 1: Lenovo T470S with Intel 520 and Windows 10
Monitor 2: Asus VS228 monitor
Monitor 3: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM (No HDMI)

I can't get Windows 10 to recognize the third monitor. I can use dual monitor between the laptop and Asus, or laptop and Dell, but not all three. It always says, "Could not detect" when trying to detect the third display in control panel when the other two are functional.

Video driver is updated.

Here are the connections I've tried:
Laptop>Asus via HDMI -- Asus>Dell via VGA (Dell not found)
Laptop>Dell via DVI (HDMI one end, DVI on other) Dell>Asus via VGA (Asus not found)
Laptop>Asus via HDMI -- Asus>Dell via VGA and DisplayPort adapter (Dell not found)

Is this inherently impossible because of the hardware and outdated monitor? VGA cable is brand new - Amazon Basics - and it crossed my mind it could be bad but I don't have any other VGA products on which to test.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Some display adapters wont support more then 2 being active. This sounds like the case unfortunately. You can try to turn off the main laptop display and try 2 external monitors. If that works then the GPU just cant drive all 3.

USB GPU/dongle is the way to get around this.

I had the same problem at work. Quadro 4000 had 4 output slots, but could only have 2 active at a time. Made very little sense until I checked the specs of the video card and found that out.

Good tips. I'll give it a try. I don't really need the laptop if I have the others going.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I can get two external monitors + the laptop monitor to work on my Dell Precision...But it can't drive three external monitors, at least with the USB-C dock I have.

We're switching to 38" ultrawides, so I may just try to run one of those plus an additional 24" 1080p monitor off to the side.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info