The 20 Essential Hot Dogs in Chicago

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Chicago, the sausage capital of America, keeps on offering a smattering of wonderful new spots serving traditional Chicago-style hot dogs dragged through the garden, as well as gourmet spots with inventive toppings. As always, the ketchup is only for the fries and young children who don’t know better.
For the 2019 edition, Old Town Social was removed due to shutter and Duk’s, Portillo’s, Jim’s Original, and Fat Johnnie’s make room for new wieners. The encased meat additions include Lola’s Coney Island, Maxwell Street Depot, and Morrie O’Malley’s.

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-hot-dogs-chicago-restaurants

luke-skywalker-every-word-is-wrong.gif

1. Superdawg Drive-In
2. Wolfy's
3. Hot "G" Dog
4. Byron's Hot Dogs
5. Wiener Circle
6. Gene & Jude's
7. Dog Haus Biergarten Lincoln Park
8. Chicago's Dog House
9. Red Hot Ranch
10. Original Jimmy's Red Hots
11. Allium Restaurant and Bar at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
12. Downtown Dogs
13. Lola’s Coney Island
14. Fatso's Last Stand
15. Devil Dawgs on State
16. Big Guys Sausage Stand
17. The Duck Inn
18. Maxwell Street Depot
19. Morrie O'Malley's Hot Dogs
20. Fred & Jack's

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Gene and Jude's sucks so bad.... Portillos makes a hell of a Chicago dog.

I just started a new job in Grayslake and there is a legit place here called Sammie's.
Gene & Jude's might be the most over rated eatery in all of Chicagoland.

Never forget the first time I went there people were telling me how it's the greatest place on earth. Was average at best.

Weiner Cricle doesn't belong on that list either. Food is mediocre...but it is amazing to get a "chocolate shake"

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Gene & Jude's might be the most over rated eatery in all of Chicagoland.

Never forget the first time I went there people were telling me how it's the greatest place on earth. Was average at best.

Same here. The dogs and fries are very 'meh'. The only thing going for that place is its hours and ability to feed a lot of people quickly.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Gene & Jude's doesnt even make a true chicago style dog either. Where is the pickle, tomato and celery salt? Might as well put ketchup on it :rofl:

This^^^^^
Way overrated as others said.
Nana's in Hanover Park claim to fame is they are related to Gene and Judes.
Big fucking deal, you suck too, lol.
Firehouse Dogs in Schaumburg makes a pretty good dog.
Jimmy's (#10 on list) on Grand and Pulaski is awesome!
I pretty much grew up on Jimmy's.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I grew up about two blocks away from gene and Jude’s , I stop in when in the area and still have some friends that run the place, Not sure what the draw is to them, I have had better and prefer Portillo’s over them.

Biggest thing is if you live in river grove, Franklin Park, Schiller and some parts of Chicago you don’t have many choices of hot dogs places, closet portillos is northlake or hardwood heights, which are both too far to go for some of those towns.

Also gene and Jude’s is really one of the few places that is open late anymore till 1-2am. Most pizza places are done by 10pm now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info