Craigslist to start charging to post vehicles for sale.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but, when going to renew one of my ads I just saw this.

57114790_10157473395914589_1039814606018576384_n.jpg

Wondering if this is going to be the final nail in Craigslist's coffin. I personally haven't had shit for luck selling anything on it for well over a year. I post all the vehicles and equipment I sell to Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Same pictures, same descriptions, same price. I can not honestly remember the last time I had a sale that wasn't off of FB Marketplace.

Hopefully this doesn't follow suit for heavy equipment. I still do have a fair share if inquiries on equipment from CL.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I wonder if it will impact the scammers? Will they pony up $5 for each ad or will they go to a free platform?

If the scammers go away, CL would have a better site again. Maybe they know they're in trouble and are risking the fee or are they just greedy bastards?

Honestly, I don't see many scams from the phony seller side of things anymore. Most of the CL based scams/ spam calls are aimed at legitimate sellers.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I can see it going a few different ways.

1) It will be all dealer posts, as they'll end up cutting some type of deal for unlimited monthly posts

2) It will keep the garbage off the site, leaving some pretty quality shit that people are willing to pay a few bucks to post

3) It will most certainly all but wipe out the sub $1,000 beaters that show up on there that I always love searching

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Honestly, I don't see many scams from the phony seller side of things anymore. Most of the CL based scams/ spam calls are aimed at legitimate sellers.

I ran across several scammers last time I was looking for a car which was 5 years ago. Asked questions and prices dropped fast and their stories unraveled. Even the legit ads were inflated views of their cars (to be expected).

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
What about letgo?

LetGo seems like a bigger cesspool to me than OfferUp.

Basically every OfferUp sale I've done (around 15-20) have been pretty good. Maybe 1 out of 5 people say they are coming and don't. Overall fairly positive experiences.

LetGo I seem to always get interest from these bangers that want me to deliver a $5 from Palatine to Englewood or LittleVillage

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
While $5 is very reasonable to market and possibly sell a car for both owner and dealer it might deter the spammers who are posting dozens of cars. But its not like anyone is marketing cars on cars.com, autotrader, and ebay for free either right? I am all for $5 if it could weed out some of the junk.

I have also been selling stuff on FB marketplace with good results. You will always get the lowballers but not like I got any spammers contacting me.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
this saddens me, as i love craigslist. ive had nothing but good luck with sales off there through the years. far less scum and time wasters than FB or OU or LG. probably helps as i set up my ads in such a way they can only call me. therefore i usually only deal with serious buyers.

the other classifieds sites SUCK IMO. theyre all opening the door for people to bullshit and tip toe around the item, and then when you say something whitty back to them or piss them off with some racial slur in response to their 25% offer, you get hit with a bad review and blocked by them.

offerup and letgo have been charging to promote your listing for some time now. i still just go in there and delete them and repost to avoid the fee.

but then again facebook is super convenient opposed to CL. so idk, i just hate all the messages "is this still available", "is the price negotiable", "whats your lowest"... cant tell you how many people ive driven away from buying something from me just because theyre idiots, ill find someone that isnt a moron to deal with.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
While $5 is very reasonable to market and possibly sell a car for both owner and dealer it might deter the spammers who are posting dozens of cars. But its not like anyone is marketing cars on cars.com, autotrader, and ebay for free either right? I am all for $5 if it could weed out some of the junk.

I have also been selling stuff on FB marketplace with good results. You will always get the lowballers but not like I got any spammers contacting me.

Last time I listed a vehicle on Cars . com it was free with up to 5 pics.
That's how I sold my Frontier :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info