Death of Streaming?

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
If you're like me, you've noticed a trend beginning to happen over the past few years. In the beginning, there was Netflix. Now there's Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now, SlingTV, CBS All Access, etc... With more and more services, the content we like to watch is getting divided up more and more. When once we had one or two services to watch everything, now we need more and more. And it's only getting worse. Disney is coming out with their own service. All of the big channels will have their own service soon. So no more watching The Office on Netflix. You'll have to buy NBC's streaming service whenever it comes out. Eventually, if not already, it'll just be cheaper to have cable television than it will be to subscribe to 5+ streaming services for everything you want. What are your thought on the matter? All I have to say is, thank god for torrents.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I agree. It won't be too long before we get to what we were paying with cable and internet. Though I feel we've been watching less and less TV. When I was young and single, I had too much time on my hands for that stuff. I really only find myself now watching TV as a background kind of thing. If we want to watch a new movie, we just get something from Redbox.

I think this is just all pointing to the sign that we need to watch less TV and be more active. And with the weather starting to improve, that'll be a lot easier.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I disagree. This is what the market wanted and dictated, an ala carte type of platform. Because of that networks are forced to come out with the best shows/programming possible to get their share of the market.

I don’t foresee ever going back to cable. As costs continue to rise I’ll just cut out content/networks I deem unnecessary.

I go to one device for everything I’m subscribed to and that is the Roku, it is pretty simple.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I disagree. This is what the market wanted and dictated, an ala carte type of platform. Because of that networks are forced to come out with the best shows/programming possible to get their share of the market.

I don’t foresee ever going back to cable. As costs continue to rise I’ll just cut out content/networks I deem unnecessary.

I go to one device for everything I’m subscribed to and that is the Roku, it is pretty simple.

Agreed. Streaming isn’t going anywhere. The networks are just catching up with how to grab their market share back.

If you spend 20 hours a week in front of a TV, cable is probably a better deal for you.

I might pop Netflix on to catch a movie or stream a few episodes of something once a week. The quality of what I’m watching is 10x better than any hour long episode of a tv show with 20 minutes of that being commercials. Sports are the only thing I *kind of* miss. It’s mostly on as background noise.

One thing I can see becoming more prevalent again is piracy. If you have to subscribe to 6 different services to get all the content you watch, people are going to start stealing.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
My younger brother was a "cut the cord" guy. When we would go visit him, you have to use the Playstation to watch certain shit, Fire Stick for others, and some other streaming thing for other channels. He just recently went back to cable, lol.

You can use a PC, Nvidia Shield, or an Xbox One and get every streaming option along with antenna TV and only have to use one device. Tell him to give one a try and cancel that cable!!

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
One thing I can see becoming more prevalent again is piracy. If you have to subscribe to 6 different services to get all the content you watch, people are going to start stealing.

They're saying that's already the case. As they come out more and more with Netflix, Hulu, Prime Originals people aren't as willing to subscribe to all 3 and it's actually increased piracy.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Another thing to consider...kids aren't really using cable. At least kids that I know.

They stream YouTube, Netflix, etc. Cable actually annoys the living hell out of them because they can't choose what they watch. As these kids get older, they will never sign up for a cable package like all of us did at one point in our lives.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The thing I hated about cable is that you had to buy the 250 channel package to get certain channels and I'd get like 10 usable channels out of that. I like the idea of streaming and a la carte, but they are definitely pushing the greed boundaries.

Yeah, no shit. ESPN was at a point something like $26 by its self. I don't watch sports I don't want to pay for it.

I think we could see two things out of this:1-Cable with "roll your own" subscriptions and packages of streaming services. The reason Netflix etc. are trying to get into original content is their days as resellers are likely numbered due to producers coming out with their own services.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Disney owns most of Hulu now... You're gonna start seeing that growing substantially, as I'm pretty confident Disney + will be more family friendly and the "more adult" content will be pushed to Hulu...if anything Netflix is going to be the one to play catch up before too long.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I would prefer an ala carte style cable service. Let me check the boxes on what channels I want and don’t show me the ones I don’t. Att used to have a hide channel feature like 10 years ago. Comcast does not and it’s annoying.

I have cable, Netflix, amazon prime and MTOD.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The thing I hated about cable is that you had to buy the 250 channel package to get certain channels and I'd get like 10 usable channels out of that. I like the idea of streaming and a la carte, but they are definitely pushing the greed boundaries.

Hence the problem with Cable.

What if I only watch like 4 or 5 channels.

Oh, you want this channel? Thats in the uber premium package, you get 12,000 channels, and it costs $180 per month.

But I only want that ONE FUCKING CHANNEL, forget it, I don't want to watch that show anyways.

Amazon offers subscriptions, so that's where I got my Stars, CBS, and such when I wanted to watch specific shows. When they were done, I cancelled the subscription.

I'll sign up for YouTube Red, this month to watch Cobra Kai S2, after its done, I'll cancel the subscription.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
They're saying that's already the case. As they come out more and more with Netflix, Hulu, Prime Originals people aren't as willing to subscribe to all 3 and it's actually increased piracy.

I just want the Blurays.

Gimme all the blurays. I'll make my own streaming service. My content, the way I want to watch it, when I want to watch it.

The biggest portion of my yearly entertainment spending is me buying Movies and TV Shows on bluray.

I have all my 4K content ripped now to Plex. I need to get a 4K TV to enjoy it. :)

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
What's pissing me off is DirectTV now. Up until the last couple months I have been happy with ditching cable. We received a letter saying they are eliminating out plan to new customers and raising the prices if we wanted to keep it. If now we can buy one of 2 shittier packages that cost more. On top of that I keep seeing black outs for sports which is really pissing me off. Plus no WGN at all. Looks like Sling is just as bad on MLB games. I'm about to go back to Comcast. Netflix has nothing I'm interested in enough to pay, we have a friends log in. Disney + might get me just for the new Stars Wars and Marvel content.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info