Anyone into archery? Looking at a compound bow

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Done it a few times and really enjoyed it. I know nothing about it for the most part just that it's enjoyable. Wanted to get a compound box to shoot in the backyard (I backup to the woods). Haven't a clue as to what to look for, whats important or not needed etc. A fake deer in the yard is going to be a must :)
And not trying to spend a shit ton of money since it's not a serious hobby

Found some of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WHA1K2/?tag=tcg21-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1G6F5X/?tag=tcg21-20

Hoping someone here knows more than I do on this. Also wouldn't mind getting the kids into this. Get them away from the damn electronics.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Go get fitted at a proshop! They can set you up with correct draw length, draw weight and the correct arrow length for your draw.

Those two bows you posted, I wouldn't even look at.

I have a Diamond infinite edge, not cheap and not stupid crazy. Best part, it was set up by for me by a shop. No one else can shoot that bow as good as I can because it's set for me. And my draw is 68 pounds.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Go get fitted at a proshop! They can set you up with correct draw length, draw weight and the correct arrow length for your draw.

Those two bows you posted, I wouldn't even look at.

I have a Diamond infinite edge, not cheap and not stupid crazy. Best part, it was set up by for me by a shop. No one else can shoot that bow as good as I can because it's set for me. And my draw is 68 pounds.
Thats great info. Where did you go?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Went to one shop but they only had one to look at and nothing used.
Went to bass pro and had no idea they had an entire section to archery. Talked to the guy there and he said he has been using bear products for 40 years. He recommended the diamond sb-1 for me. $399, with a site. Tuning included, 30min of range time included and free tuning going forward. Arrows seemed priced high at $35 for 6.
The diamond prism was $299 but he said it was youth bow because the draw only went up to 55lb. And it’s shorter by 1”. The sb-1 goes up to 70lbs and 32” axle to axle. Is that really worth $100 more? I don’t see myself ever going over 60lbs for someone my size.
I like the free tuning, I like how close it is, I like how the guy has 40+ years experience, and the 30min free range time. Or maybe I will just keep looking for a used one for sub $200 (with accessories) and pay someone to tune it.
Seems like I can easily get carried away with a trigger, case, arrows and targets for another $500+.

Thoughts?

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
I have a Mathews which IMO and so do most of my hunting buddies. They have been the pioneer/benchmark since compound's first came out. Newer lighter/slightly faster versions come out every few years. A few Buddies have Hoyt and Bowtech which are pretty nice brands too. I bought mine like 9 years ago set up for about $1200, its 70# draw and usually is accurate as fuck/shoots fast and quiet. Haven't shot/hunted in 2 years but I'm for sure going to bust it out this year and get back into form and have my string replaced. Don't bother with a deer target get yourself the square foam layer block. It last's so much longer and is cheaper and easy to store... The place my buddies and I all go to is Arrowsmith INC in Lake Geneva. Tony is the best most knowledgeable guy around if you want to spend some coin and get something nice or get some adjustments. Lots of guys buy the newest bow every few years so you can get a few year old model used bow for like 300-400 and take it in and get it fitted to you as well or if you get lucky and find someone similar in size selling one you could get lucky.

I am going to buy a bow for Carp bowfishing soon, for that I will no doubt go cheap.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Thanks!
So I did buy a bow from a guy on FB who tunes them up out of his house

I got a Mission Menace with rest, stabilizer, site, quill, Cabelas trigger, 6 arrows (no case). He is also going to set the draw and pull weight for me. $180

Found a hard case on amazon $33

Target foam block $30 on ebay
Paper targets $10 on amazon
12 arrows $28 on amazon
6 pigeon 3d targets $20 on Ebay
Gotta figure out which block to get and make a stand. I'd like to make a rotating target of some type. Probably need to get some type of backing in case I miss the target. Would love to get something that I can keep outside year round. Even if it's stored outside next to the house.

So I'm right at about $300. Is there anything else I need or must have?

On a side note I came across this crossbow for $135 on amazon...I really kind of want it just to mess around too lol
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722S4DYX/?tag=tcg21-20

Attachments

• 56408530_10216687106028927_8826337039445131264_n.jpg
    56408530_10216687106028927_8826337039445131264_n.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 90

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
You guys know of any ranges?

So ran across this website
Standard Archery – Lake Villa / Round Lake Beach – Illinois Target Archery Association

Called yesterday and the lady on the phone had no idea if they had an archery range, said she would google it for me (thanks I can do that)
and the website says there is an indoor range but that shows up as a muslim community.

I had a few good spots here in Kenosha County a few years ago. There's a couple Bow Clubs just over the border and a free outdoor spot by the Outlet Malls in Pleasant Prairie at the RecPlex/Lake Andrea off of hwy165 just off I94 that has a elevated platform and big straw bails to put a paper target on and shoot at. I put an X on the map where its at. Place I used to shoot at in Racine was dope as fuck, a Bar with a big Bow Range and it had a bunch of different tagets to shoot at plus you could drink some Beers! Don't know if its still open I'll look into it and the Clubs and get back with details on them. I shoot at my Dads off his roof or in my backyard to practice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-210128.jpg
    Screenshot_20190409-210128.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 81

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
So finally the bow arrived. Never shot with a biscuit on it so needless to say I can't hit shit
Brought it to bass pro and the guy looked it over and said I got a really good deal on it
He adjusted the draw to 26" which fits me much better than 28".
Weight is 45lbs I believe.
he adjusted the d loop and peep site. He mounted my scope and help me with my form. He would not sell me any arrows until I get some range time so he can see how I shoot so he can get me the what will work best.
So far I've in love. The guy at bass pro is really taking his time to help me get started and tuned (and no charge so far)
the bow feels much better now. Going tomorrow to the indoor range and hopefully buy a dozen arrows.

The only thing I hate is the camo color. I'm not a hunter so that just doesn't appeal to me

Any recommendations on a budget ($150 or less) new or used bow that I can get the wife so she can shoot with me? Compound or recurve. Doesn't matter. Just don't want to drop a lot if she isn't going to do it as much as me

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Weight on my bow won't go past 43lbs. So looks like I'll just have to use that unless I get longer arms.
So strange how it's easy to pull with a release but a bitch with 3 fingers.
Need to adjust my site a little but also considering one that will take a magnifier. All the ones I'm seeing are $150+. At that point I'm halfway to a new bow. So is it worth dropping coin on a site or just get a better bow?
Looking at a bear Cruzer g2. $399. A little heavier than mine sadly but idk

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
43#s feels heavy? I felt like I could have bent the bow in half with the 45# draw on my Recurve. But the recurve is way smoother than a compound so there isn't any initial resistance that falls away. Its just a smooth constant weight draw.

Its a Bear Kodiak Magnum. 52" with a 45# draw. Sadly its old and thanks to some twist in the frame it is now suitable for display only.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
43#s feels heavy? I felt like I could have bent the bow in half with the 45# draw on my Recurve. But the recurve is way smoother than a compound so there isn't any initial resistance that falls away. Its just a smooth constant weight draw.

Its a Bear Kodiak Magnum. 52" with a 45# draw. Sadly its old and thanks to some twist in the frame it is now suitable for display only.

By hand yeah it feels heavy with the release it's easy. Probably just different muscles I'm not used to yet.

Anyone use a cheap range finder? Found some for $50-90. Didn't know if any are worth it for using in the yard so I don't have to use a tape measure for everything. One tree I have a target on now I have setup at 20 yards. Wanted to do a 20,30,40 target. Also bought an outdoor deer just to keep in the yard.

What I have noticed is that some of the tips become loose after a few shots. Do people normally lock tight them? Or should I just snug the shit out of them? The guy at the store put them on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info