Small buisness printer/scanner

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I'm starting to get enough paperwork with my buisness that I'm getting annoyed with my printer. I printed off 15 pages this morning and it took right around 10 minutes. It would probably take 20 minutes for me to scan those same 15 pages.

What's out there for a decent price? I would really like to stay under $300. Any of you home office guys have something you'd recommend?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
As others have said. Laser, Laser, Laser. Its tried and true.

LED based could also work, and might be cheaper. But I don't know anyone who has one. In theory it has the same benefits for light work-loads on print-outs. It should print perfect every time, even after sitting for 6 months without use.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
+1 on the Brother. I have one at home and a bunch at work. They are fast, can print on both sides of the paper and are reliable. Definitely upgrade to a laser printer if you don't need to print in color. A stinkjet just doesn't cut it for a business.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I also agree with Brother. I've had those throw away cheap inkjets, and several mediocre HP and had nothing but problems sooner or later with them. Bought a Brother inkjet and damn thing still works well. Bought it back in 2012 and it's still going strong. I just buy the ink online for about 1/3rd the cost.

I do plan on upgrading the printer soon to something slightly better but I'd need something with color and preferably all-in-one. For scanning, I have a portable scanner that's powered by USB and it scans one page at a time, but it's quick. If it's a stack of papers, I use my wife's Brother desktop scanner where it scans multiple pages at a time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I need to print color so I have a Brother inkjet that's a level below the printer mentioned.

For the most part, it has been a good printer. Loses the wifi occasionally and the software sometimes glitches both of which are fixed by a restart.

I like the separate color ink cartridges that Brother uses better than the all in one color cartridge some other companies use. If I run out of Magenta, I replace just it for around $15 rather than having to spend $50 on an all in one cartridge and waste ink.

The auto document feeder is a must for me. The 50 pg. feeder on the brother in the link would be nice. Mine is 25 pages although I have gone a few pages over that with no problems.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I still use an ancient HP 2200DN workgroup printer hooked to my ethernet network so anything can print to it. Have had it for 10 years and still going strong. Does Black and White perfectly fine for when I need it. Why I love laser printers the ink never dries up and I don't have to deal with cleaning heads and all that bs.

To me I would rather buy a nicer seperate document scanner if you use that a lot as they are a lot faster. And to me the document scanners with feed trays in most printers seem to a point of hassle/repair.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
This is the printer I have:

4813.Brother_MFC-J630W.jpg

This is the portable small color scanner I have that works awesome!
https://www.fujitsu.com/us/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/ix100/
scansnapix100-100455520-primary.idge.jpg

As I've said, I have a Brother inkjet since about 2012. I use it moderately for my business and personal. It works well and I haven't had problems with it as I have with other brands (HP and Epson). Just by name alone, I'll stand by Brother. I do plan on getting something newer and a bit better in the near future, but the damn printer is still going strong, and I get ink online for about a third of the price. The portable scanner I bought for about $160 when a place was closing. It retails $200. If you do frequent scans of a page or few often, this is well worth the money. Plus you can always deduct it on your business expenses.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info