What are you working on today?!

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Figured some of us do some interesting things and I see some of it in the bored thread. So instead of hiding it all there I figured I’d make a thread for us to share what we actually do everyday at work.

Today so far I’m replacing some lugs and studs on a R220.
beeda5b16d52cd5053787f755efdede9.jpg

2dd92b110c834243ed30f6cb6da49737.jpg

Good thing we have extras wheels.

I do so much random crap a day I’ll try to keep track of it in here.

Reactions: Rico and Spivitz

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Re-arranging stuff in the warehouse to make room for a new customer, going to have a scissor lift later this week to run air lines and CAT6 cables through the space as well.

The current employees aren't happy with me tossing so much stuff out, but there's just sooooo much crap they've amassed over the past 25 years it's ridiculous.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
It’s Monday and I’m not feeling particularly motivated.

Did my usual rounds of the building, going to get a portable boiler set up to start leak checking a chiller, replacing a couple point of use water heaters for eye washes in my building, and do a little bit of reading.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The current employees aren't happy with me tossing so much stuff out, but there's just sooooo much crap they've amassed over the past 25 years it's ridiculous.

We've been full on spring cleaning at work. Last year just my boss and I recycled about a ton (literally 1 ton, 2000lbs) of old electronic shit that was just stuffed in every which corner of this building. Talking servers from 1995, old Avaya phone system and hand sets, OG digital cameras with memory cards the size of dollar bills, etc.

This year, we get rid of about another half ton of shit from all 3 major locations. Server rooms look minty now.

On top of other departments shredding 20-25 year old documents that they also had shoved in places. CFO said "save 7 years of accounting, shred everything else".

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
because were honest.

lol ok.

if a job books for 8, im charging 8. i dont give a fuck how long it actually takes me. what if it takes me 12 hours to do it? can i charge 12? NOPE. YOU CANT.

so for every fuck around job that takes longer than i can charge for, i feel like its made up for with charging book rate on EVERYTHING.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I wish I did interesting things to tell you all about...Most of my day is watching emails, dispatching work tickets to my maintenance techs, and yelling at vendors to invoice. I'll have a couple conference calls where very little gets conveyed or communicated and the rest of my day will consist generally of placating our client.

On the brighter side, I'm sitting on my couch instead of at the office.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Spring cleaning here is always awful. They don’t like to toss anything because “we paid for it”. So silly, I’m hoping to sneak a few more things out this year.

We have a bunch of machines here we no longer use but "cost a fortune"... I keep trying to get rid of them but it never happens.

Trying to free up space and re-organizing shit can be such a pain in the ass.

Look, if we havent used the machine in the 9 years Ive been here, odds are we wont, and on top of that the new machines blow these fucking things out of the water.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
We've been full on spring cleaning at work. Last year just my boss and I recycled about a ton (literally 1 ton, 2000lbs) of old electronic shit that was just stuffed in every which corner of this building. Talking servers from 1995, old Avaya phone system and hand sets, OG digital cameras with memory cards the size of dollar bills, etc.

This year, we get rid of about another half ton of shit from all 3 major locations. Server rooms look minty now.

On top of other departments shredding 20-25 year old documents that they also had shoved in places. CFO said "save 7 years of accounting, shred everything else".

Fuuuuck man I get to do asset disposal for our data centers. I'm pulling out servers from 10 years ago and am still not where I want to be with it. I did about 7 Bladecenter Chassis last year, an XIV Storage array and a bunch of other misc. shit. I have 3 block storage arrays I want to get gone this year and 2 filers that I want to get gone the year after. All of it's on third party support. Kill it all, I hate supporting it.

Within the last two years I've probably had 700 drives or so shredded.

The thing about asset disposal is I can't believe how much it costs. It's even expensive to get rid of stuff in the IT industry. I'm sure it all gets shipped to India to break for scrap anyways.

What I'm up to now for work? On a change meeting, nothing interesting there. Just wading through red tape to get stuff done (I hope.)

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
lol ok.

if a job books for 8, im charging 8. i dont give a fuck how long it actually takes me. what if it takes me 12 hours to do it? can i charge 12? NOPE. YOU CANT.

so for every fuck around job that takes longer than i can charge for, i feel like its made up for with charging book rate on EVERYTHING.

Why not, in my same example, if job is estimated at 8 and we need 16 + an overnight($220 charge), we bill that. customer knows what is going on because our tech is at their shop.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I just got back from a show I worked in TX for a huge dealer of ours. I was out there 7 days. I'm doing my expenses from that trip and catching up on the past week.
I also need to finish booking my trip to Kansas City for next week. Visiting a bunch of customers with another dealer to hopefully get them to by some digital equipment from us.

Thread Info