Sonic boom, not once but twice

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Fake news. That’s the sound of the media and democrats heads exploding after finding zero collusion and no obstruction.

All seriousness. You don’t just hear a sonic boom, the cool part is feeling it in your chest.
I want to see those rockets come back down to earth with my own eyes. That’d be a cool family trip one day with my son.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Sonic booms? Can we get confirmation on that?

Probably just the boosters firing up to slow them down. As I doubt they slowed down below the speed of sound, speed up to break the sound barrier, then lit the boosters to slow again. But maybe I am wrong. lol

It is badass to see them come back and land like that. Technology is amazing.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Sonic booms? Can we get confirmation on that?

Probably just the boosters firing up to slow them down. As I doubt they slowed down below the speed of sound, speed up to break the sound barrier, then lit the boosters to slow again. But maybe I am wrong. lol

It is badass to see them come back and land like that. Technology is amazing.

They are slowing down from over the speed of sound. When the boosters detach from falcon heavy it’s travelling about Mach 10. So they have to glide up to scrub off that speed and use deployable fins that steer it back toward the launch complex. They freefall back down reaching well over the sound barrier to relight engines that both slow it down and steer it for landing

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Exactly. My point is that if they are traveling faster than the speed of sound I find it odd that you hear the boom and then the rocket noise immediately after it. And they are spaced apart just like the rockets firing. If it was falling at faster than the speed of sound I would think you would hear that sonic boom much sooner than you hear the rockets. The sonic boom would obviously be loud enough to hear it sooner than when in the video.

I understand sonic waves and the sonic booms. Maybe I am just not seeing why the sonic booms and rocket noise would be right up against one another like that. Especially since you can see the rockets lighting produces a larger amount of light then when sustained afterward.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Exactly. My point is that if they are traveling faster than the speed of sound I find it odd that you hear the boom and then the rocket noise immediately after it. And they are spaced apart just like the rockets firing. If it was falling at faster than the speed of sound I would think you would hear that sonic boom much sooner than you hear the rockets. The sonic boom would obviously be loud enough to hear it sooner than when in the video.

I understand sonic waves and the sonic booms. Maybe I am just not seeing why the sonic booms and rocket noise would be right up against one another like that. Especially since you can see the rockets lighting produces a larger amount of light then when sustained afterward.

The volume of the boom and boosters have measure on how fast the sound travel, only how far they travel. And the boom Echoing is why you hear the boosters so close to the boom.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info