Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://gizmodo.com/gigantic-t-rex-skeleton-found-in-canada-is-officially-1833547406

New research published last week in The Anatomical Record describes “Scotty,” a T. rex skeleton otherwise known as specimen RSM P2523.8. Scotty is now officially the largest and most aged T. rex ever discovered, and the most gigantic of any of the known two-legged carnivorous dinosaurs known as theropods. At an estimated 19,555 pounds (8,870 kg), it’s also the biggest dinosaur ever discovered in Canada.

Persons and his colleagues compared Scotty’s skeleton to 11 other well-preserved T. rex skeletons, including Sue—a specimen otherwise known as FMNH PR 2081. Sue’s bones were found in 1990, and it was once considered the biggest T. rex skeleton, a title that now belongs to Scotty. Sue weighed in at 18,651 pounds (8,460 kg), which is around 5 percent lighter than Scotty.

nLobabK.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It was also thought that Scotty lived to be around 30 or so years old. That seems crazy to me.

Analysis of the growth patterns in Scotty’s bones suggests the dinosaur died in its early 30s, making it the most elderly T. rex skeleton ever discovered. Extensive injuries were detected throughout the body, pointing to a particularly brutal life. Scotty had broken ribs, an infected jaw, and bite marks on its tail, the latter of which appeared to be inflicted by a rival T. rex, the new study suggests.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
i was just talking abut SUE with wifey the other day. because i was drinking pseudo sue.

does SUE still hold the title for most complete?

and sue and this one were found a year apart, why did it take so long for them to figure thsi out.

It took paleontologists nearly a decade to excavate the fossil because it was encased in compact, cement-like sandstone. The extra effort to excavate the bones, plus the sheer size of the specimen, resulted in further delays.

TCG doesn't read articles.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
i was just talking abut SUE with wifey the other day. because i was drinking pseudo sue.

does SUE still hold the title for most complete?

and sue and this one were found a year apart, why did it take so long for them to figure thsi out.

Sue[a] is the nickname given to FMNH PR 2081, which is one of the largest, most extensive and best preserved Tyrannosaurus rex specimen ever found, at over 90% recovered by bulk.[4] It was discovered in August 1990, by Sue Hendrickson, an explorer and fossil collector, and was named after her. After ownership disputes were settled, the fossil was auctioned in October 1997, for US $8.3 million, the highest amount ever paid for a dinosaur fossil, and is now a permanent feature at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, Illinois.[5]

The article about Scotty's said hes about 65% complete. So I think Sue still holds the record on that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info