Auto dimming contact lenses

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I’m seriously going to look at these the next time I renew my prescription.

One of the things that bothers me about contact lenses is my extra sensitivity to light when wearing them. Often I have to wear sun glasses when driving.

But when I’m wearing regular glasses my eyes aren’t nearly as sensitive to light.

So I’m interested in these new photochromic lenses. It’s a new application of the same process that’s been on glasses forever.

Contact lenses that can darken like sunglasses in bright light.

https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-transition-contact-lenses

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
That's pretty sweet. I've had transition glasses for years, as my eyes haven't taken to wearing contacts for more than a few hours. They don't work in the car, however. I wonder if it will noticeably make your eyes look all black when darkened, instead of the natural blue, green, or brown. Cops or others might think you are high because it'll look like you have dilated pupils.

Pupil_dilation.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
never even heard of these things. curious how well they work.

They literally just got FDA approved mid last year and hit the market this January. So super new.

Auto dimming glasses can help but they are slow to react and can also be affected by things like temperature. Do I want my vision to be darkened when I walk from a cold exterior into a conference room?

I'd want to see more on how they work.

I don't think they'll be affected by temperature as much as glasses being that they are cuddling up with your eye-balls.

I may buy a single weekly pair for a trial.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I’m seriously going to look at these the next time I renew my prescription.

One of the things that bothers me about contact lenses is my extra sensitivity to light when wearing them. Often I have to wear sun glasses when driving.

But when I’m wearing regular glasses my eyes aren’t nearly as sensitive to light.

So I’m interested in these new photochromic lenses. It’s a new application of the same process that’s been on glasses forever.

Contact lenses that can darken like sunglasses in bright light.

https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-transition-contact-lenses

Unless they use a different method of change they still wont work in the car.

Glasses change based off of uv exposure. Auto glass is now mostly uv blocking. Meaning these still wont work in the car.

Maybe look into a different brand or type of contact, one that bothers your eye less?

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Have these in regular frames. I got the level that should darken while driving. They do, to some degree.

I feel they're like a futon - not a good bed, and not a good couch either.

Walking in from outside they take a bit to clear up. When outside, they don't get dark enough either.

While inside, they never go truly clear.

I won't get them again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info