Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I havent flown anywhere in some time....but I also rarely ever take trips. I drove to and from Myrtle Beach last year and while its a long drive, I really didnt mind it. I think these days, I'd almost rather drive than fly, despite the cost difference.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm torn right now because we're supposed to go to knoxville here in a few weeks for a quick weekend- flights are brutal... anything you'd "want" to be on is $850 minimum.

But it's a 9 hour drive one way, which is kinda gnarly for "just" a weekend.

I do the 8/8.5 (sometimes 10 :puke: ) hour drive to my wife's hometown 6-8 times per year and that's easier to bite off because flying basically isn't an option at all.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Was just talking this over with the wife for a fall trip to Chicago. I think we’re going to end up driving just because I get anxiety thinking about carrying so much stuff to the airport.

If it was a weekend trip and just the two of us, I’d fly.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
My wife, son, and I are taking a road trip to FL the last week of the month. We normally fly, but decided to drive this time. Last spring, we paid $1.8k for a flight to FL. If we have a miserable experience, we may go back to flying. But paying almost $2k for just a flight is a bit much. Yeah, we'll suck up some vacation time doing it, but we have plenty of vacation days this year.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm torn right now because we're supposed to go to knoxville here in a few weeks for a quick weekend- flights are brutal... anything you'd "want" to be on is $850 minimum.

I do the 8/8.5 (sometimes 10 :puke: ) hour drive to my wife's hometown 6-8 times per year and that's easier to bite off because flying basically isn't an option at all.

Why not add a day to the trip and drive?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

what is your date range on when you want to go?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
wanna drive my truck while we sleep in the back?

I have a driving allergy, but I can passenger like a BOSS! I can offer driving tips, give scenery tours, and even help spot danger before it presents itself.

8CNaOyw.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
end of the month flights are only 270$ RT

Basic economy bullshit...

what is your date range on when you want to go?

easter weekend

i'm out of time off for the year so flight has to be at 4pm or later on friday, and home sunday... later the better.

Why not add a day to the trip and drive?

I've allotted all my time off for the year.

I have a driving allergy, but I can passenger like a BOSS! I can offer driving tips, give scenery tours, and even help spot danger before it presents itself.

8CNaOyw.gif

You'd likely need to be sedated for how i drive my truck on roadtrips.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I like driving as much as possible, but there's obviously a point of diminishing returns. I used to cannonball down to my parents in Florida, which is 17-18 hours straight.

Obviously it depends on the locale, but I'll limit driving to 8-10 hours now, because it's just not worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info