I’m starting my escape from Illinois

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Looking at houses in Wisconsin but don’t know what’s a good/bad area. So far pleasant prairie looks nice and a couple nice ones in Kenosha. Anybody with knowledge care to help me out? Looking for good schools, 3car garage and a house that doesn’t need work in a good middle class area just over the border. What are some other towns I should be looking at?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Noooō not WI!

giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I dont know if you care about schools, but a significant amount of the wisco towns just over the border don't have great schools. pleasant prairie is a nice area with good schools iirc, just pricey to me for what you're getting.

as you already alluded to- being near a highway is pretty crucial if you're going to work in IL still. getting to 94 would be pretty critical to me- being close to rt 12 wouldn't help much unless you worked lake zurich/palatine/something like that. road gets so fucking traffic-y

and of course- wisco state income taxes are higher than IL but just barely- but less property & no grocery tax.

what's your budget?

it is interesting looking at monthly payments though of course with the property tax savings...

350k house 20% down 280k mortgage is 1775 at 4.125 with 5k in taxes.
250k house 20% down 200k mortgage is 1802 at 4.125 with 10k in taxes :rofl:

buuhhhhtttt youll spend 149k in interest over 30 years on the 250k house... and 210k in interest over 30 years on the 350k house. :dunno:

so many ways to think about it all... for example- then if you do have to commute to IL, your time costs money not to mention fuel/vehicle wear & tear. such a mindfuck.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Looking at houses in Wisconsin but don’t know what’s a good/bad area. So far pleasant prairie looks nice and a couple nice ones in Kenosha. Anybody with knowledge care to help me out? Looking for good schools, 3car garage and a house that doesn’t need work in a good middle class area just over the border. What are some other towns I should be looking at?

Frank Slat's cousins live in Pleasant Prairie and seem to really like it. Not sure where you work, but it's kind of nice that a Metra train runs straight downtown from up there.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...leasant-Prairie_WI_53158_M78131-21838?view=qv

Wife and I both really like this house but it’s at the top of our budget. We didn’t crunch numbers at all considering our house isn’t even getting appraised till next week.

Consider your taxes into your budget. In NWI you can have a $450k house for the same monthly payment as a 325k house in Illinois. The taxes save you a ton. Take this house for example. It’s about your budget but the taxes are around $3500/year.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9489-Renaissance-Dr-Saint-John-IN-46373/99165529_zpid

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'd take you guys up on the NWI tour some time. I've been looking on Zillow, but don't know which areas are good/bad and which areas would be best for my commute downtown.

I was looking at Chesterton too, and planning on taking that South Shore line to work.

edit: I also hate HOAs.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Also consider the commute to / from work when looking at IN and WI.

You also have Milwaukee for opportunities should you position yourself right. But WI people are odd as fuck (say/think differently). Working w/ them in Corpoland, they are wired different, a lot of WTF when interacting w/ them.

While w/ IN folks, you know what to expect.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I'd take you guys up on the NWI tour some time. I've been looking on Zillow, but don't know which areas are good/bad and which areas would be best for my commute downtown.

I was looking at Chesterton too, and planning on taking that South Shore line to work.

edit: I also hate HOAs.

If you have a commute one thing I’d recommend is to stay west of 41 as it get super congested the more you live east. Munster is the closest followed by Dyer and Saint John so if commute time matters and you don’t mind paying a bit more for a house Munster is great. If schools are concern try to stick with Munster, Dyer, Saint John or if you want to be more inland crown point and cedar lake have excellent schools as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info