White Nationalist Movement In Mt Prospect

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
We have to get vehicle stickers in Mt Prospect each year or we can get a ticket (I've yet to get one in the 9 years I've lived there).

This was the 2019 vehicle sticker design released this week. This is the MP Police Dept. symbol over a picture of our downtown. Once this was released, all hell broke loose.

AR-190209343.jpg

Facing public backlash over a new vehicle sticker that critics say features imagery co-opted by some white nationalist groups, Mount Prospect officials announced Wednesday night they will order a redesign.

Officials said the sticker, which went on sale Feb. 1, was intended as a tribute to local law enforcement. It features a police badge superimposed over an image of a village water tower and downtown streetscape. The badge includes police beat numbers, the state of Illinois with a star in Mount Prospect's location, and an American flag with alternating black and white stripes and one blue stripe.

That flag initially was created to represent police -- the Thin Blue Line -- and has been used by Blue Lives Matter organizations, a pro-law enforcement movement created in response to Black Lives Matter.

But it also has popped up in white nationalist imagery and events, including the violent August 2017 marches in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The first sticker drew immediate criticism via email over the weekend, and the complaints continued when the village board met Tuesday. Among the residents objecting was Joseph Plata, a former participant in Mount Prospect's Citizens Police Academy.

"They have understood that to be a white nationalist flag," he said. "You are doing a disservice to Mount Prospect residents and yourselves."

People were protesting and threatening lawsuits, so the village caved and recalled original sticker and is now offering the sticker below.

https://www.mountprospect.org/Home/Components/News/News/7427/1042

Some in the community have found the thin blue lined flag to be racially divisive. The decision to produce a newly designed vehicle sticker addresses those concerns and acknowledges the fact that some residents stated they would feel uncomfortable placing the sticker on their vehicle.

I don't understand why we let the lunatic left fringe "win" in these situations.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
We do vehicle stickers were I am from and until this past year they never did enforcement as the percentage that purchased was very high...

Last year I got a letter asking why I didn't buy stickers for all my cars... I did... I called and they were going off an old list of cars I had sold.

I'd guess pretty soon they will start pulling data from the state on vehicle registrations and then they will know exactly what you have.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
:rofl: wow. What is the price for that money grab vehicle sticker now, $150? I grew up in Mt. Prospect, refused to get a sticker and never got a ticket either. I would have only put one on the car if I parked in the Metra lot.

They're $45. Still ridiculous money grab. I've had 3-4 cars at a time all 9 years I've lived here so I've saved $135-$180 a year for 9 years by not getting one. Have yet to get a ticket...but I'll still be on top by over $1,000 even if I get a ticket!

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
They're $45. Still ridiculous money grab. I've had 3-4 cars at a time all 9 years I've lived here so I've saved $135-$180 a year for 9 years by not getting one. Have yet to get a ticket...but I'll still be on top by over $1,000 even if I get a ticket!

:rofl: For some reason I thought they were more. My parents always got them for their cars, I told them they were lighting their money on fire. Also, I think its just a village ordinance violation ticket, which is probably around the same price as the stupid sticker. It was worth the risk.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I’ve got nothing against the thin blue stripe stickers on cars but I feel like that since it’s sort of a political message it ought to be a choice if you want that displayed on your car rather than to be forced to do so

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
Leftist on the left lunatic fringe checking in...

Sticker looks OK to me. Cheesy as hell and created in MS Paint. My only observations. So cheesy! Looks like it was designed in '92.

I would like to see the imagery White Nationlists use, side by side with this sticker. Let's compare. Sizing up my monocle now...

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
If people want to get offended by something that is kind of questionable, it would be this garment from Gucci. They just recently took it off their website. It does boggle my mind a bit that someone in their marketing group didn't find the design a little problematic. If someone told me they were offended by this, I wouldn't tell them they're crazy.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/gucci-blackface-sweater/index.html

BITKFJWPJFC73GHVS52TKUVMQU.png

sambo-doll4.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Wheeling is great because they don't seem to have a bunch of the BS taxes that other cities in the area do. No per/year dog/cat tags, no vehicle stickers, no yard waste stickers. It's nice.

As for the vehicle stickers, as long as you park in your own driveway/garage, and work outside of the city you're in, they seem like a waste. But if you live in an apartment/condo complex with big lots or are parking on the street a lot, stickers are definitely worth it. When I lived in Palatine, I got a few no-sticker tickets, which was annoying...

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
News flash, the only people "winning" here are the ones that benefit from higher taxation (i.e. not the residents)

Only suckers are paying for the sticker. Like I said...I haven't paid for it once for any of my vehicles int he 9 years I've lived here.

But agreed, it is insane how out of control IL governments have gotten that they try to force you to pay for a sticker to put in your car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Only suckers are paying for the sticker. Like I said...I haven't paid for it once for any of my vehicles int he 9 years I've lived here.

But agreed, it is insane how out of control IL governments have gotten that they try to force you to pay for a sticker to put in your car.
I know where I live, if you don't buy the stickers and go to sell your property you will have issues. They don't let you not buy the stickers. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info