Recommend me a decent pot and pan set

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My wife got me those copper pans you see commercials for. They are ok. Non stick but thin as hell so cooking on them is a PITA.

I really need to reseason my carbon steel pan. I love cooking with it, but some things do stick to the bottom because of my crappy attempt to season it. Or I should suck it up and get a good old cast iron.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
All I got to offer
... Cast iron everything

20190206_174217.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Different pans have different uses. Cast iron retains heat well and can go from stove to oven. Negative is you can't use soap to clean them and need to keep them treated with oil so they don't rust.

Steel pans are usually better than aluminum.

See through lids are nice.

It's good to have at least one non stick frying pan. Walmart has a good one that has a blue non stick surface. Amy loves that pan because it's easy to cook/clean and the non stick has been lasting well.

I have various pans of each type for different types of cooking. My base set is stainless steel. I inherited it from my grandma and it still works well after half a century.

Stay away from sets that are sponsored by food channel celebrities. The extra money they cost goes to the celebrity, not into the cookware.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Cast iron retains heat well and can go from stove to oven. Negative is you can't use soap to clean them and need to keep them treated with oil so they don't rust.

I call bullshit on this. All my cast I use soap, then re-season when done washing. I have pans that are 30 years old that have been washed since day one. And a big NO on oil, lard! I have a cast pan, that's 3 gens old that is smooth as glass. Works better than any non-stick pan I have ever had. And it still gets hit with Dawn.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
My Wife mentioned that we need new pots and pans. I know they usually come in a set and thats all I know. Budget is no more than $200 (if thats possible)
Would like to surprise her with a new set.

I’ve been slowly switching over to Calphalon Signature series... They’ve been ridiculously good, zero complaints, nonstick, and top rack dishwasher safe.

Been about a year now and they’re still as nonstick as when I first got them. The outside has some wear and tear where it sits on the burner but I don’t put them on a rack where people see them when not in use so I don’t really care.

For pure function though, they get used multiple times per week and get tossed through the dishwasher weekly and still work great. Trying to find cookware that they’ll warranty with dishwasher use was the tricky part but I came across these when searching and couldn’t be happier.

I’ve been through cheaper sets like an all stainless set from kitchen aid to other cheap sets from Target and there’s no comparison....

They don’t hit your price point but I’ve found this is one of those spend the money once kind of things

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Y7GB9W/?tag=tcg21-20

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I call bullshit on this. All my cast I use soap, then re-season when done washing. I have pans that are 30 years old that have been washed since day one. And a big NO on oil, lard! I have a cast pan, that's 3 gens old that is smooth as glass. Works better than any non-stick pan I have ever had. And it still gets hit with Dawn.

I guess you can use soap but you strip off all the oil patina then, more than using plain water. Ideally, cast iron should be cleaned without any water at all. Just rubbing with paper towels or abrading stuck food with salt. Old school. I clean them that way if they don't have a lot of cooking residue. If I use water, I put them in the oven at 200* to dry them completely and then rub them with a very small amount of oil.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Calphalon is great stuff. Got their bigger set and have used every one of them countless times with no flaking or dishwasher issues. Any good pots and pans are going to be expensive unfortunately.

1948254.mmv

Their 12" grill pan has been one of my new favorites, toss burgers or steaks in this fucker all the time....

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'd have all cast iron and nothing but cast iron if we hadn't got a calaphon set for our wedding.

My wife also has a small non stick white pan so she can cook her eggs in the AM.

I don't soap and water my cast iron, just scrape and rinse. Not sure why you need to soap and water them??

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
U dish washer yours?? I'm afraid to fuck em up

There are multiple levels of Calphalon...if it says dishwasher safe on it, you're good. If it doesn't, do not put it in the dishwasher....It's usually etched on the bottom...at least that's how ours are.

I don't feel like one set of pots/pans covers you....

A full stainless set, like All-clad looks good, and should perform really well.

Then there's enameled cast iron, like Le Crueset, which is super expensive, but should last for generations. BUT, the enamel can chip, and there's no way to fix it.

Then there's bare cast iron, which, IMO is the most versatile. People get scared of the care, and are scared of the no soap part, but honestly, it's super easy...let the pan/pot/griddle cool, then I have a little chain mail scrubber, run it under some warm water and do a quick scrub. Immediately dry with paper towels and immediately oil with whatever oil you have laying around (canola, olive, vegetable). If you fuck up the seasoning, it's super simple to re-season, just a little time consuming. You'll never "ruin" a cast iron pan...and damage can always be undone. Also, they are cheap AF. If you're ever heading down towards Kentucky/Tennessee area, stop by the Lodge factory outlet...they have a section of factory defects that are ridiculously cheap, but more often than not, they will correct the defect within a few cookings. It's the only style that can go from the stove, to the oven, to even the grill, and not have to worry about anything. One negative is they are also heavy as fuck. My fiance doesn't like to use our big skillet, because it's so heavy.

My perfect kitchen would have a couple carbon steel pans, a big enameled cast iron dutch oven, a few varying size stainless steel pots, a bare cast iron griddle, a bare cast iron dutch oven, and a couple varying size cast iron skillets. No non-stick coatings for me.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Unless you somehow crack a cast iron pan, you can never ruin it. Might take some effort to get it back to cooking condition, but never ruined. Worst case is that it gets a coat of rust that you will have to use steel wool/scour pad to remove...then re-season it, and you're back in business

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info