Video card suggestions

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
All started with reading an article about Crysis (2007) how challenging it was back then and how it could punish some GPUs now. I went to my bin of junk, installed the game, high settings. 2GB GTX 660Ti did not like it much, crashed twice within 2 hours of play time. It did pretty good playing Doom on higher settings but this damn game from 12 years ago showed that it's time to upgrade.

I'm fine with used cards, don't want to spend more than $300. Did a little bit of reading and seems like GTX 980 ti is decent, AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 popped up but I never used any of their products before.
Any suggestions?

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I don't know how it compares to a 980ti really. But I know it (1070ti) beats my 2070 on some FPS benches in games....

TBH given the gap between the 9XX and 10XX series, I'd be surprised if an overclocked 980ti held a candle to a 1070ti but I could be wrong there. Upon light searching on the subject it seems the 1070ti is much better. But then again I'm not sure what the price gap is either.

EDIT: I'll add, when I was researching this (to upgrade from a poo-poo'd 970 a couple months ago), the general consensus on the nvidia single card solution side was that the 1070ti was the card to get right now. The gist was 20XX is overpriced unless you're gaming with ray tracing and 10XX is miles ahead of 9XX fundamentally. But at the same time the demand is real high for the 1070ti because of this, so maybe bargains will be harder to find. But basically the 1070ti is a fucking beast.

There are probably also good options on the AMD side but I know nothing about those other than I've heard they're power hungry (or maybe that's the CPUs?).

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I don't know how it compares to a 980ti really. But I know it (1070ti) beats my 2070 on some FPS benches in games....

TBH given the gap between the 9XX and 10XX series, I'd be surprised if an overclocked 980ti held a candle to a 1070ti but I could be wrong there. Upon light searching on the subject it seems the 1070ti is much better. But then again I'm not sure what the price gap is either.

EDIT: I'll add, when I was researching this (to upgrade from a poo-poo'd 970 a couple months ago), the general consensus on the nvidia single card solution side was that the 1070ti was the card to get right now. The gist was 20XX is overpriced unless you're gaming with ray tracing and 10XX is miles ahead of 9XX fundamentally. But at the same time the demand is real high for the 1070ti because of this, so maybe bargains will be harder to find. But basically the 1070ti is a fucking beast.

There are probably also good options on the AMD side but I know nothing about those other than I've heard they're power hungry (or maybe that's the CPUs?).
980 4gb slots in between the 1060 6GB and the 1070 in terms of performance. Its slightly faster than a 1060.

My GTX 2080 is too much GPU for my current i7-4790k CPU. Subnautica barely improved performance, so I assume its just that its mostly cpu limited on my rig.. Doom 2016 already ran at excellent frame rates on the 980, and on the 2080 its damned near insane. Shadow of the Tomb Raider has some good results, but is also CPU limited at 1080p.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info