HVAC question

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Its straight retarded cold and its only going to get 2-3x worse....

IDNgJoV.png

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I know it is really cold out, but my thermostat gave me an email alert saying the furnace has not shut off on 3 hours. Possible broiler issue. The temo is holding at 68 and set to 70. Is this normal or is the furnace going bad?

What kind of furnace? Is there a red blinking/flashing light on it?

I know on my furncae, I’ve had limit switches, rollout switch and the such go bad. I would disconnect those wires, make a small jumper wire and connect the two wires together. My furnace would work normal until the new part arrives.

Over the years I’ve actually replaced everything from the induction motor, gas valve, mother board and all. I always keep some spare parts before winter comes. That way I’m ready to fix my furnace if I have to. And I’ve had to many times over the years.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Running for 3 hours straight is not normal. Yes it will run more often and longer but 3 hours straight is a problem.

Im assuming forced air? But you also mentioned a boiler in your post which are 2 different systems I believe?

If you have forced air, for reference my furnace ran for 9 hours yesterday total. Even in this brutal cold. Today is even colder so I assume it will be close to 10-11 hours today.

The #1 sign you have something wrong is not being able to reach your set temp.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Something is not right. Could be your thermostat going out, or something on the management side of the furnace. I would call someone to check it out.

Our older furnace in our townhome did this. Turned out to be some thermal coupler or something. I don’t remember what it was. Something that was there to make sure the furnace did not over heat.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I had someone come out today. What a waste of money. He said it was all good. He said my configuration of the entire system was basically hacked to fit the house when they built it. The furnace is keeping up with the negative weather, it just restarts because it is so cold that the temperature drops quickly.

mat0485

Addict
Nov 27, 2009
Aurora
I can bet something is going on with your furnace and it’s shutting down on safety and then restarting.

How old is your tstat? Did you install it? How old is the furnace ?
Could have a 2 stage furnace running in low fire as well. I see that very often. Nest is one of the worst thermostats out there. I’ve seen people remove very nice two stage stats to wire in their own nest (incorrectly) and now the furnace works less efficiently

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info