What the hell did I do/First chips pending

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
After saying fuck it and not doing a huge amount of dilligent research I ended up buying this lathe off Craigslist for 5 bills. It's an Atlas 12X36 and I do have the tail stock but nothing in the way of tooling. That'll be the next batch of stuff I'm looking at getting. I have someone that said I can get a set of gears 3D printed by them cheap, so we'll see if that works out.

YPOtLsW.jpg

xwnXhWy.jpg

bmSIpOS.jpg

I'm thinking I'd like to get some collets for it as well and a milling attachment.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
When Sears stuff was made to outlast humans.

A ton of it is oddly Zamak (zinc alloy) in terms of the gears etc. As said it appears 3D printing has come to the rescue with a lot of it though in terms of things like threading gears. That said, it seems to be in tact for the most part and there's a good aftermarket for the Atlas stuff as well as Clausing supposedly makes OE parts still.

for cheap / hard to find bearings / o-rings not sure what might be used on that.

All World Machinery Supply
6164 All World Way
Roscoe, IL 61073
P: 815.943.9111 | F: 815.943.5370
E: [email protected]

I'll have to poke around. I'm still looking for decent places to get stock, I may try to hit the JY too and see if the will let me grab scrap bits. On the plus side I do have a few shocks and transmission shafts I can use to play around with. May have/want to anneal those first unless I'm tossing carbide at em though.

I may eventually go CNC on it, but that's gonna be quite some time off. In the interim something I had someone mention was hooking limit switches to the power feed to auto shutoff. Not a bad idea that way I could just start it up, go about my business in the garage while it turned then come back when it shut down.

Jelly.

Would love to have a small shop. Not that I need one, I just love to tinker.

Stay safe and enjoy!

This is very much gonna be a new adventure for me. I've never actually used a real machine tool in my life. Although this is a toy compared to some of the bigger stuff out there, it's still a hell of a lot of machine to me.

I think since I've said it, I'm going to end up making myself a set of 9" pucks to do rear end narrowing. The bar is about $100 to put between them plus the stock to make the inserts for it. Any sort of bushing drivers I need will likely also be fairly high on the list, I want to have a set to do at least a 4L80E if not a 700R4 too.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
First chips still pending. Bought a buncha tooling in the mean time:
-AXA tool holder
-A bunch of 3/8X3in HSS blanks
-MT2 and MT3 dead centers
-MT2 live center
-1/16 parting blades en route

I need to get a belt for it and I need to get the tool post mounted. I'm hoping I can get a t-nut that will fit or I'm going to have to mill down the block of steel that came with it. I think I also need to swap the power cable although it's just been in the back of the truck because it's cold out and nasty and I'm not feeling it right now.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I got this in the basement and I've been trying to clean the parts off. Not sure what grease was used on this but it's stubborn and turned into a gummy morass. I've been soaking parts in a gas/diesel mix to do what I can. I also tried getting the chuck off and didn't have much luck. I am guessing I'm going to end up making a 3/4" 12" long rod with LH threads on it so I can get the chuck off the hard way.

The good news is my MT3 dead center fits the head stock and the engagement seems serviceable. I was kind of concerned considering it was full of junk I had to clean out and seemed to have some junk in it.

The ways aren't as good as I thought. This thing has definitely seen some use. The first 12-18" of the bed past the head stock has some pretty deep wear in it; it doesn't catch a fingernail but barely. I'm betting it's darn near 10 thou if not that much. Oddly the back is nearly unworn. I guess it goes back to what my buddy was saying that if you needed to do a nice pass on a worn out lathe you threw it in reverse and did it from the back.

Gears I have are:

2X20 tooth
48 tooth
52 tooth
64 tooth

Basically that means I'm able to do 12 and 13 threads per inch as well as feed at 5 thou per spindle rotation (the way it was set up.) I think what I will want minimally is 16, 18, 24, 28 and 36 TPI.

That means I'll need to get/make:
-another 64T
-36 tooth
-32 tooth
-56 tooth
-24 tooth

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Got my first chips on this beastie tonight. My cut quality is crap but I think that's due to me using a dead center in the headstock and no dog (I think I'm going to try and make one this weekend) and possibly that I'm doing it on a 24" section of black iron pipe although it seems to be running fairly straight on average. I am also using a piece of HSS I slapped around a bit with a right angle grinder which means it's probably not the best cut although it's better than when I had a broken tip on it.

I think I can probably get improvements by using the bench grinder for the HSS and a dog where I can probably end up with less chatter/a heavier cut. Maybe I can get the quality of machining to war time Mosin or a bit better. Pics pending tomorrow at some point. I don't want to get too over zealous with the piece though I'm thinking I want to cut a section of it down for a draw bar so I can get some collets for the head stock.

I was playing with the cross slide a bit as well. It took a few tries via trial and error but using a 9mm shell casing I got pretty darn close to replicating the taper angle of a 9mm casing.

Another mod I did was I added a reverse switch for the motor. I'm not ready for that yet but when I am ready for threading I think I'll end up needing it so it was just easier to add now. It was also a good excuse to replace the majority of the wiring which was rubber and trash.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Got some chips finally! First stuff was really rough, but I'm making progress. I learned a lot of stuff.

-Oil's a good idea. I was using Hoppes 9 gun oil to play around a bit, but I think I'm going to go get some Synchromesh MTF fluid I have since it's a bit heavier.
-I need to beware of how deep of cut I'm doing. I was doing a 50 or 60 cut with this and watching stuff flex around. Was kind of amazed it still did it though
-I need to watch direction, it works better forwards than reversed. Thankfully only did that for a short period.
-I need to get the gears set up in the auto feed and play with that some
-Alignment of the tooling to the piece is important
-I think I want some new nuts for my cross feed and compound rest.

Things are getting better with a bit of experience. Getting excited this is up and running. I need to do some wiring clean up but I'm turning metal into scrap now!

AIRarsy.jpg

H2AW1qu.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
For some reason I must have had an epic wet brain fart when I cut my lathe tool. Figured out I did it totally wrong and a piece of raw HSS stock was doing as well on finish quality. I'm going to regroup and see if I can make some improvements. I'm going to do a turning tool then a roughing tool and see what they do and how they behave.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Had a break through tonight! Found a YouTube video that showed how to set up the cross slide and it made a huge difference. I set the compound to 30 degrees instead of "0" and put it all the way in so that it wouldn't move around and wound up with this! Much better!

I can work with this. I need to get a 30 Tok reamer now so I can make some sort of single shot or make a .32 ACP blow back.

ZjJYgqs.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
WgIILhN.jpg

This is probably the first real project I did until I actually make the AK barrel chunks into something. The flash hider was about 1/8 too big for my bayonet so I decided to turn it down so that the bayonet fit. Now I need to make a sleeve for the compensator to rest against and (hopefully) be able to time it. The threading being 24 TPI is going to make this a really interesting proposition IMO. With 1/24th of an inch per rotation I think that if I knock 10 thousandths off I'll end up with 1/4 rotation. I don't really see a need to go much above 20-25 by the time you give it a bit of tightening.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Got my backing plate off today. I made a jig (pics pending) to try and drill it and didn't get shit for results. The chuck was pretty much junk anyways so I said heck with it and ebayed a new Asian one. I'm not going to say it was the hard way of doing it, but it certainly was like the snake eating its own tail. I cut most of the face plate off then when I was toward the end I flipped the tool backwards, reversed the motor and took passes until it spun its self off. There wasn't a ton of thick rust in the threads but there did seem to be some powder although that may have just been the cast iron I was turning. I woudln't be surprised if a bunch of powdered chips worked themselves into the threads over the years and jammed things up.

Pics are what's left of the backing plate and threads that are newly exposed.

CI5Ibpa.jpg
[/IMG]

NKQ9KyE.jpg
[/IMG]

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
7d0Wc2r.jpg

Got some stuff from Asia in the mail. 6" 3 jaw.

G4YeyAH.jpg

Should be able to hold a piece or two of work with this.

IJJskYq.jpg

The original 5" vs the new 6". That little guy is probably about 75 years old and is junk. I'll likely keep it in case I need some weird form of workholding although it's really scrap metal. We'll see how she does, hopefully we'll get the face plate set up on this and start turning some stuff down.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
The backing plate wasn't machined worth a shit. I had to cut it to get it leveled out. I also have been working on surface finish. This is a rifle barrel that was given to me (notice the holes from demilling and that it's a short barrel.I used the lathe to cut some threads with a die. You can see the die in the chuck, I would rotate it with the crescent wrench and hold the barrel with a set of vise grips. Not terrible for a $7 ebay China die.

Up next is probably getting a blank and getting set up to be machined.

EzTeL2M.jpg

OYorcp0.jpg

Here's another piece I did that I did using a vertical shearing tool as well. Feed rate is .00375/rotation at ~100 SFPM.

SFtNS0Q.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info