TCG Home - Back Yard Lighting

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Fellas,

I have a situation where I want motion sensored lighting in my back yard. Currently I have (5) light fixtures on the back of my house controlled by 3 separate circuits. Each one of the circuits has multiple locations of switches that control the lamps.

Looking for a cost effective way of having all come on with a motion/heat trigger. At the same time I want to be able to cycle them on/off from inside.

Not looking to spend a lot, don't want a hub at this time. Been looking at Leviton smart switches but haven't seen yet how to add motion.

Large back yard with lots of trees so I don't want these false triggering all night due to tree/limb/leave/bird/squirrel movement.

What would you do? And what would you buy for light fixtures?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Smart micro switches. I can do this with my setup.

Hub less solution, the sonoff wifi or any wifi 120v micro switch + smart wifi motion detectors. Install behind the switch for the lights, program with the app to activate on a smart motion sensor. Use IFTTT to automate if needed, but you want devices that all use the same app for easy programming that is usually built in.

Switch:
https://www.sonoff.in/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=75

Motion detector:
https://www.sonoff.in/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

I personally use the zwave protocol stuff which does require a hub of some sort, but also use wifi smart outlets that are hub/hub-less by tplink and use their app to control.

I have the aeotec micro switches for my outdoor lights so they turn on/off at sunrise and sunset.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
That sounds complicated. I'd do smart switches and set it up as a group on my echo. Change the lights to motion sensor lights and done.

Edit: I guess you would possibly need a hub for that, although there are switches that don't require them. I have an echo show. built in hub. Love that thing.

The other potential challenge is are the switches 3way? (2 switches control the same light in different switch locations)

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
That sounds complicated. I'd do smart switches and set it up as a group on my echo. Change the lights to motion sensor lights and done.

Edit: I guess you would possibly need a hub for that, although there are switches that don't require them. I have an echo show. built in hub. Love that thing.

The other potential challenge is are the switches 3way? (2 switches control the same light in different switch locations)

Yes, all 3 circuits have 2-3 different switch locations to turn the lights on/off. I don't need all the physical switches if I go to smart switches.

If I should do a hub so be it. Just wanted to wait it out until home automation gets standardized, if ever.

I should add, it's quite some distance from the lights on one end of the house to the other
and my lot is pie shaped so if I need say 3 sensors for this I want all lights to go on if a single sensor gets tripped.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info