How to get off a jury

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I got out of Grand Jury duty by telling the woman flat out that I was self employed(at the time), and expecting me to shut down my life for 30 days so I can serve on a grand jury is asinine. She agreed and I was sent home about an hour later.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I just use my two addresses (one is in Kane and the other DuPage) against one another.

When a notice comes to the house in Elgin, I claim I've moved to the other house since I voted and prove that address... I never hear back from them again.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I've been getting them every other year, like clockwork, for the last 6 or so years.

Last time was the "closest" I got to being put on a jury. I really think it depends on the judge you get, whether you can get a hardship excuse. The judge I had gave exactly zero fucks about your business, clients, patients, whatever. She was more inclined to let you go for family reasons. But the real trick, it seemed, was to make yourself an "expert" on a subject critical to the case, when the attorneys are questioning the jurors. They don't want anyone too knowledgeable on the subject. The case I was up for was a civil case where a family was suing a pickup truck driver that was towing a trailer that pulled out in front of a motorcycle and killed the rider. I was an "expert" on pickups and towing :hsughlol:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You guys really should be doing your duty and serving on a jury. I know if I had a court case and needed a jury, I'd want them to be a "jury of my peers", not crackheads off the street.

i've never had one but i would be interested in going through the experience. also terrified of the thinking skills of some people who i would hope never get on a jury.

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio

Just doing a quick read over of what you posted......

“By some estimates, as many as 25 percent of jury summons really do get lost in the mail, because of outdated or inaccurate address information”

And you think you can be held liable? If you don’t sign for it or were served, they best have a way to prove it ever got to you.

As for me, I get paid for jury duty, but never get selected for some reason. So I go in for 2 hours, get the whole day off with pay. Unless I get selected, I went 7 times for jury duty a couple of years back, I love days off.

You can do as you wish, show up or don’t, I can tell you one thing for certain, the 7 visits I did in one year, I saw most of the same people, over and over.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Illinois and Cook County can and will go after you for failing to appear

Prove you received the summons. I have thrown those fucking things in the garbage since I was probably 18yrs old and I'm now 43yrs old. My wife has done the same. I wont sign for shit that comes via USPS unless I'm expecting something and tracking tells me its coming that day

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info