The Chicago Garage

The Chicago Garage (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/off-topic/)
-   -   Napkin Phenomenon (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/off-topic/166860-napkin-phenomenon.html)

greasy 01-02-2019 01:48 PM

Napkin Phenomenon

Please explain to me the extreme waste of napkins at fast food restaurants. It boggles my mind when someone takes a 2Ē tall stack of napkins, uses 2-3, and then throws the rest in the trash. I donít eat at many fast food restaurants, this is primarily happening at Chipotle.

Ryan02Stang 01-02-2019 01:53 PM

Keeping people with jobs. More napkins needed, more people have to work for napkin companies.

blakbearddelite 01-02-2019 01:56 PM

I grab two, and I almost always use them both. But I've seen people grab stacks of them. Though sometimes they fill the damn things so full, you have to grab a ton otherwise they rip and you get a tiny chunk of a napkin.

nytebyte 01-02-2019 01:58 PM

I think part of it is the idiots working at the restaurants put the napkins in the holder backwards, so there is no leading edge to grab if you want to pick one out.

So, you must reach in the napkin holder and grab a shitload of them just to get one.

I see this in our bathroom at work where the paper towels are put in upside down so you can't grab them one at a time. There ends up being paper towels all over the floor and piles of unused ones on the counter because someone just wanted ONE and ended up having to grab 20 of them instead.

Lead Pipe 01-02-2019 02:04 PM

My glove box is always stocked with a healthy supply of chipotle napkins. Fight me.

radioguy6 01-02-2019 02:15 PM

1-2 for the meal, some for the car, some for the house/office :rofl:

Flyn 01-02-2019 02:24 PM

Because they're FREE

LikeABauce302 01-02-2019 02:32 PM

I take 5 napkins. I usually use at least 4 of them lol. Some restaurants have napkins that are so paper thin that they are useless.

N20GT 01-02-2019 02:41 PM

This sickens me...I use maybe one napkin when I eat, if any. I hate wasting paper/plastic so when I see some moron grab a stack then throw half of them away, I rage

Sprayin 01-02-2019 02:49 PM

I grab 5. No more. No less.

DEEZUZ 01-02-2019 02:59 PM

Napkin is a funny word

Flyn 01-02-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL (Post 3846494)
Napkin is a funny word

"Nape" (tablecloth) "kin" (little)

DEEZUZ 01-02-2019 03:08 PM

With everything that deals with the general public tending to themselves, especially most slobs at public eateries, it needs to be behind the counter and regulated.

DEEZUZ 01-02-2019 03:10 PM

I hate people who also take aton of shit home like salt and pepper... Really?

When I was little I'd watch my old ass aunt take everything from restaurants. Salt, pepper, forks, etc... It soothes me now that she died with a ton of money that went to her shit kids who blew it on gambling and QVC. SOOTHES me

Thirdgen89GTA 01-02-2019 03:11 PM

And the opposite of Napkins places like TB usually give you 10x the sauce you need.

I ran through TB drive-through and they asked me if I wanted any sauce. I said, Sure. Asked for some Diablo.

The guy literally took a fist-full of them and put them in the bag. So much that every time I've been to TB in the last 6 months when they ask me if I need sauce I say No. Because I STILL have the sauce at home in a refrigerated zip-lock baggie.

IDAFC21 01-02-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA (Post 3846500)
And the opposite of Napkins places like TB usually give you 10x the sauce you need.

I ran through TB drive-through and they asked me if I wanted any sauce. I said, Sure. Asked for some Diablo.

The guy literally took a fist-full of them and put them in the bag. So much that every time I've been to TB in the last 6 months when they ask me if I need sauce I say No. Because I STILL have the sauce at home in a refrigerated zip-lock baggie.

Hey now, that stuff never goes to waste.

Spivitz 01-02-2019 03:34 PM

We're surrounded by assholes.

I usually use two

greasy 01-02-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N20GT (Post 3846486)
This sickens me...I use maybe one napkin when I eat, if any. I hate wasting paper/plastic so when I see some moron grab a stack then throw half of them away, I rage

I am right there with you. Take as many as you need to wipe your mug/hands/etc....If you need 20 because you are a messy fool, take 20, and use the majority of them.

Don't take 40, use 5, and throw 35 in the fucking garbage. The least someone could do would be leave them on the table if they are ultimately lazy, or better bring it back to the napkin holder.

sickmint79 01-02-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasy (Post 3846432)
Please explain to me the extreme waste of napkins at fast food restaurants. It boggles my mind when someone takes a 2Ē tall stack of napkins, uses 2-3, and then throws the rest in the trash. I donít eat at many fast food restaurants, this is primarily happening at Chipotle.

i have thought about this too. having napkins simply accessible at tables has to save a lot of them. if i took extra and didn't use them i'll just leave them on the table for the next person.

LikeABauce302 01-02-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickmint79 (Post 3846532)
i have thought about this too. having napkins simply accessible at tables has to save a lot of them. if i took extra and didn't use them i'll just leave them on the table for the next person.

I got to Potbelly 2-3 times per month for lunch. They used to have napkins dispensers on the table, but now got rid of them and only have napkins by the fountain drink dispenser. Now I'm more likely to grab a handful of napkins because I don't feel like fighting my way through a crowd of people to get back to the one napkin dispenser while the place is busy during the lunch rush.

guspech750 01-02-2019 04:31 PM

I use a few napkins while eating. But I usually will take a few extra and keep them in my truck. Iíll use them when I need to blow my nose or wipe down my interior drivers door after opening my window while itís raining out.

Other than that. Watching people take a stack and then tossing them in the trash makes me wonder what in the hell is that person or people thinking.

Pressure Ratio 01-02-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N20GT (Post 3846486)
This sickens me...I use maybe one napkin when I eat, if any. I hate wasting paper/plastic

Why don't you bring a towel in with you that you can take home and wash later? You hippie. :rofl:

I hate the waste too. But I also hate not having a napkin when I need it. One napkin is filthy and I need to wipe my mouth. What do I do? Don't tell me to be less of a sloppy eater either! lmao

Flyn 01-02-2019 05:39 PM

1 to use during the meal and a 2nd for hand/face clean up afterwards.

16 if it's ribs.

...and a wipe.

greasy 01-02-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio (Post 3846573)
Why don't you bring a towel in with you that you can take home and wash later? You hippie. :rofl:

I hate the waste too. But I also hate not having a napkin when I need it. One napkin is filthy and I need to wipe my mouth. What do I do? Don't tell me to be less of a sloppy eater either! lmao

Nobody is saying you canít grab a monster pile of napkins. Just donít be a lazy fuck and throw all of the unused ones away! 🤣🤣

Knowklew 01-02-2019 07:00 PM

I use 4 or 5 depending on napkin size, never more.

IZZy 01-02-2019 07:43 PM

I was under the assumption everybody grabbed extra and put them in their glove box lol

Bub 01-02-2019 08:29 PM

For what those fucks charge for guac they're lucky I don't grab all those lemon wedges and hot sauce and throw them out too. Fuck them and their recycled sawdust napkins getting almost $3 for s tiddly wink scoop of guac.

Great White Drake 01-02-2019 08:51 PM

I’ll admit I’m that guy and I don’t care. I also will never use the top drink lid in a stack. I count down a few, grab the 6th or 7th one and throw away the others on top. I throw them away because I touched them, it’s also why I grab the 7th one. I don’t want someone else’s shitty fingers near my drink.

DEEZUZ 01-02-2019 09:30 PM

Yea if I touch something while getting my own I toss it

Sprayin 01-02-2019 09:34 PM

:rofl: the shit the people who are making your food touch is so much worse you psychos

TonzKnock-G 01-02-2019 11:51 PM

I always grab extra and keep them at my desk. Never go to waste.

LikeABauce302 01-03-2019 12:10 PM

If you touch the door handle and don't wash or sanitize your hands right away, you've already been exposed to every germ and bacteria from all of the other patrons anyhow. Public places are gross. I try not to think about it and just wash my hands as often as I can.

radioguy6 01-03-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeABauce302 (Post 3846917)
If you touch the door handle and don't wash or sanitize your hands right away, you've already been exposed to every germ and bacteria from all of the other patrons anyhow. Public places are gross. I try not to think about it and just wash my hands as often as I can.

I use the kick plate as much as possible to open every public door. Door handles are a petri dish of nasty.

Broke EF 01-03-2019 02:00 PM

I came in here thinking that this was going to actually be the napkin ring problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napkin_ring_problem

But this may be better :) I will admit that at Chipotle specifically I take a ton of napkins, but we use them at home. I really don't get people who do what you are talking about and take a bunch that they throw away. One or two extra I can understand, but I have seen people throw a stack away. When I go to a drive through and they give me however many, I almost always keep the extras. Either in the glove compartment of my car, or in a drawer at work. Both have come in clutch more than once.

If you take an inch stack of napkins and think you may actually use them all you should just eat from a trough.

Sean

DEEZUZ 01-03-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeABauce302 (Post 3846917)

Resistent infections in your future. Let your body do its job and ward off against shit.

N20GT 01-03-2019 02:23 PM

You wasteful bastards. I try to use the least amount of plastic/paper possible.

As previously mentioned...you're not sparing yourself any germs by throwing a bunch of shit away...the teenager at the counter probably wiped his pimpled face with a gloved hand 8 seconds before making your food

Enjoy your burrito bowl

radioguy6 01-03-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL (Post 3847053)
Resistent infections in your future. Let your body do its job and ward off against shit.

touching a fecal covered door knob once and a while, but I like to believe 3 decades of drinking lake Michigan tap water has built immunity too.

blakbearddelite 01-03-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL (Post 3847053)

Exactly, hand sanitizers will cost you your life. The worst thing you can do for your immune system is to coddle it. They need to fight their own battles. If our employers really cared about our well-being, they would set up hand de-sanitizing stations. A simple bowl at every juncture filled with dirt, vomit, fecal matter. Exposing yourself to germs is the best way to make yourself strong. The principle is sound. To avoid illness, expose yourself to germs, enabling your immune system to develop antibodies. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t do this. Maybe they have something against living forever.

DEEZUZ 01-03-2019 02:45 PM

well.... thats kind of.... extreme but yea!

greasy 01-03-2019 03:48 PM

It is pretty coming knowledge that the over use of antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers makes your body way less effective at fighting off germs and viruses.