Flying with an infant

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
We did San Diego when ours was 4 months and it wasn't that bad. Also did Singapore (21 hour flight) when our other daughter was 7 months old. She cried a lot during takeoff as I'm sure her ears hurt, but other than that...she was mostly fine. Just have to accept it is what it is, and if you're getting on that plane...there is nothing you can do if your baby decides to go nuts.

I will tell you, I will never judge a parent with a kid on a plane ever again after flying with children. No one on that plane wants the kid to stop crying more than the parent does.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
We flew with my son when he was about six months old, no real issues. He slept most of the plane ride. He really only gave us a hard time between 1-2 years. He was kicking the seat in front of him and just being whiny. He had a tablet with his shows on it, but just didn't have any interest.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I did with my first daughter. She was a couple months old when my wife and I took her on her first flight to Texas for a funeral, then back again a month later when we had already purchased tickets. She did AMAZING. Everybody commended us on having a great baby that didn't fus, and we made sure she was drinking a bottle or had a pacifier as we took off so that her ears just didn't "pop" at altitude. No problems. We also took her on a flight when we went to Florida and she was just as amazing.

Grab a stroller and use it throughout the airport. You DO NOT need to check it in at the counter. You can use it through security and you do a quick residue and/or pat down at security. They don't make the family go through the scanners.

When you get to your gate, check in with the counter to make sure you grab a tag for your stroller if they haven't given you one at the check-in counter before security. If your infant is in car seat that attaches to the stroller (like the one we used when she was an infant), you just have it attached to the stroller and make sure to get a separate tag for that as well. When you get right to the plane (before entering), you take out the car seat and fold up the stroller. You place them right at the area in the corridor just right before it meets the door to the plane (they'll explain). As soon as you get off the plane, and in the same area corridor, they'll bring you your stroller and seat (if you had one) so that you can go about your trip.

My youngest, we have yet to take her on a plane, and I am afraid to do so as she is very active and doesn't like to sit still. For a 3 month old, you won't have much of a problem so long as you have something to entertain her if she likes to stay awake. If she likes to sleep, then make sure to keep a bottle or pacifier to sooth her while she lays in your lap. Children under 3 is free (on lap). If you want their own seat, then you pay the ticket for the seat and make sure to bring on the car seat.

My oldest daughter has been on a plane a total of 6 times, to and from Texas and Florida. Never had a problem with her. Be sure to bring snacks, little toys, and food for the baby, as well as diapers.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I say do not do this.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been triggered by a fucking screaming baby. Do not be that guy

I think it depends. If you have an infant who likes to sleep a lot, then there's not much to worry about. At around 2 years of age...that's where it's iffy. I'd still be glad to take my oldest daughter (who's now 4). My 1 year old....Not so sure I'd be inclined to do so unless I had to.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Go sit in a restaurant with baby and see how long you can stand it. Then imagine being 35000 feet up with no where to scamper off to.

He's been to a few restaurants so far, and just sleeps.

I think based on these comments it's probably easier to fly with a <6 month old than it is a 1-2 year old

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Also depends on the child. You can see how your child acts as he/she gets older. My oldest daughter is great when it comes to traveling and for the most part very respectful of her "bubble" or "area", where as she does have a moment every now and then when she gets extremely hyper. But she's controllable. My youngest, even now, I'd be hesitant to take on a plane. She hates sitting still unless she's in her comfort area and is down for a nap.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
DO IT, fuck everyone else. if you are worried about what anyone on the flight might say if the kid fusses, go buy a box of cheap ass ear plugs. and if someone says shit to you, give them a package of ear plugs, and tell them to fuck off. as long as you are trying to calm the child you're golden in my book.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
DO IT, fuck everyone else. if you are worried about what anyone on the flight might say if the kid fusses, go buy a box of cheap ass ear plugs. and if someone says shit to you, give them a package of ear plugs, and tell them to fuck off. as long as you are trying to calm the child you're golden in my book.

:werd:

if you gotta get somewhere, fuck 'em.

no one "wants" to be "that" parent of the screaming child but sometimes it happens. have some sensitivity you dickfor's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info