Gaming Anyone Tried Oculus Rift?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah, if the frame rate isn't up to snuff you will get motion sickness.

Also has to do with frame time rendering latency too.

VR is on my plan of things to buy eventually. Less for stand up FPS games, and more for Racing/Flight/Space sim games. Anything where you are in a cockpit.

Stuff like what was in the EVE Valkyrie trailer makes me want VR badly.

https://youtu.be/3SI1CB4rcf8

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Vive literally made me sick. Love the immersion with Project Cars but I couldn’t take it. Tried multiple times and just couldn’t do it. Others on the same machine had no problem though.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Yeah way back I used to get high end computers to run Flight Simulators but haven't gotten one in years. I have been using my daughter desk top for my email, word processing and surfing internet needs. I just went to the basement and pulled out the last one an Alienware that didn't pass the minimum requirements. The 2 issues is it has Windows 7 (needs 10) and GTX 550 graphics card (min GTX 960).

I read I might still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 but don't know if this graphics card will work with it.
Also vr is power hungry so your rig needs to have some beef to run things well.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Wow that EVE Valkyrie trailer looks good. Is that similiar setup?

I need to brush up on my computer hardware specs first before I get one.

Funny you mention Racing/FS because first I just wanted to get the setup for the family but while doing some looking on YouTube I saw the are flight sims/games below and was blown away with the realism. I used to be heavy in flight sims (also pilot). I had the first one Microsoft put out in the 80's (I'm a dinosaur) so I was impressed with the quality of them now with VR. Haven't seen a racing game but maybe I need to get into them also instead of spending my money on cars lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz9bgbknBus

Yeah, if the frame rate isn't up to snuff you will get motion sickness.

Also has to do with frame time rendering latency too.

VR is on my plan of things to buy eventually. Less for stand up FPS games, and more for Racing/Flight/Space sim games. Anything where you are in a cockpit.

Stuff like what was in the EVE Valkyrie trailer makes me want VR badly.

https://youtu.be/3SI1CB4rcf8

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah way back I used to get high end computers to run Flight Simulators but haven't gotten one in years. I have been using my daughter desk top for my email, word processing and surfing internet needs. I just went to the basement and pulled out the last one an Alienware that didn't pass the minimum requirements. The 2 issues is it has Windows 7 (needs 10) and GTX 550 graphics card (min GTX 960).

I read I might still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 but don't know if this graphics card will work with it.

I wouldn't go by the GTX 960 as the minimum. You would not be pleased with the results.

VR is even more sensitive to frame rate drops. Dropping to 30fps on a regular monitor is much less noticeable than when the same frame rate drop happens while using a VR headset. The frame rate will cause a loss of immersion, and can cause motion sickness in some.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

550 will not work. I'd suggest a minimum of a 1070 for VR.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
On Oculus website they have computers that they feature that will run it. Here is the cheapest one that I thought the price was good on:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

For $800, build one. You can do better.

You could do a 2nd Gen Ryzen 3, and a GTX 1070 for roughly the same price with 8GB of ram. You don't really need 16GB for a gaming machine most of the time.

Linus put out a guide and its pretty spot on, though I'd take the GPU from $1000 mid-range system they built for the cheaper $600 build.

https://youtu.be/7wuzND41q3g

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'm kind of doing this right now for my nephew anyways.

The system I built for him was budgeted for about $800.
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
B350 based Motherboard
Seasonic 620w modular bronze PSU
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 980 GPU
Case
SSDs

I donated some items so its cheaper, but the total build was budgeted for about $800.

I'd have a build thread for it up right now, except my nephew who's going to be 11 in January wants to build it himself (with Uncles help of course). So I'm waiting before pulling anything out of the box.

If I didn't have donated items I would have dropped from a Ryzen 5 to a Ryzen 3 CPU, and probably gone for a 1060 GPU. I'd rather a 1070, but budgets are budgets.

Thankfully, I wanted an upgrade for my own Gaming PC, so I bought a RTX 2080 to replace my GTX 980, which I will be donating to my nephew.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
4fa4a3ee2de838e040301859ba2c369e.jpg

:noes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info