May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Aren't you one of those "dIdNt lAnD oN ThE MoOn cUz VaN AlLeN BeLts" people?

Huh :tmyk:

The Apollo missions marked the first event where humans traveled through the Van Allen belts, which was one of several radiation hazards known by mission planners.[32] The astronauts had low exposure in the Van Allen belts due to the short period of time spent flying through them. Apollo flight trajectories bypassed the inner belts completely, passing through the thinner areas of the outer belts.[25][33]

Astronauts' overall exposure was actually dominated by solar particles once outside Earth's magnetic field. The total radiation received by the astronauts varied from mission to mission but was measured to be between 0.16 and 1.14 rads (1.6 and 11.4 mGy), much less than the standard of 5 rem (50 mSv) per year set by the United States Atomic Energy Commission for people who work with radioactivity.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Many of the SciFi books I read as a kid humorously mentioned people getting sick during space flight from the zero Gs.

Virgin doesn't seem to be talking about that fact.

I'm picturing a bunch of millionaires gagging into bags while the ones who aren't sick are dodging floating puke.

Sounds like fun?

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I saw the both the space craft and launching craft at static display and launching aircraft fly at Oshkosh (Air Adventure) a few years ago. Truly a unique designed aircraft.

People have been already paying to fly much much lower in advertised edge of space flights in Russian military aircraft (That go to 60K-70K feet) so no doubt will there be a long line of people willing to go much higher/closer if not actually in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HH4Fgh7VMo

IIRC Burt Rutan was part of the design team for both the space craft and the launching aircraft. He himself is a visionary/revolutionary aircraft designer with many design credits and world records under his belt.

There are a few billionaire privately owned space craft companies vying for the commercial market of private space flight at this time. Interesting to see how it will turn out.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The ball is VG. The hoop is space.

iu

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info