Rapist gets off easy

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Seemingly lenient sentences for rape are not unheard of, and Anderson’s case underscores the difficulty in proving and prosecuting many sexual assault cases. Punishments are typically lessened and the level of crimes are downgraded as a result of plea agreements. Cases such as Anderson’s have caused swift and widespread outcry from victims, their families and communities.

Even in some instances in which prosecutors successfully proved to a jury that a crime has been committed, sentences have been highly criticized. Among the most notorious is that of Stanford University sex offender Brock Turner, whose six-month jail sentence after a sexual-assault conviction prompted nationwide outrage and the recall of the judge who imposed the punishment. A jury had convicted Turner of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman on the edge of campus.

I've been trying to say this for years...How many rapes, assaults, etc go away, go unreported, or get swept under the rug. The #MeToo movement, for some of its failings, has been giving some support and some justice for people whose voices would otherwise go unheard. Unfortunately it's in the court of public opinion, and anyone can come forward with any accusation and ruin someone's reputation; whether it's true or not. One of my biggest fears, coming out of college and looking for teaching jobs, was having a student falsely accuse me of some sort of misconduct. Your reputation is immediately ruined, might as well move out of state and change your name.

But you weigh that against the people that actually do get assaulted, and they are slut shamed/victim shamed/dragged through the mud with their accusations, and it's no wonder why so few people, especially women, don't want to come forward...even if you can get a prosecutor to take the case, there's very little chance of any sort of justice, and a much bigger chance of your name getting dragged.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
We'd have to understand the details of the case before we could call it "get off easy." If he is truly a rapist, I'd say put him to death. If she got drunk at a frat party and slept with a dude and then felt bad about it, I'm not sure I agree with the sentence being light.

The district attorney’s office released a statement from LaBorde to reporters that said she believed the case would have been hard to prove.

“Conflicting evidence and statements exist in this case making the original allegation difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. As a prosecutor, my goal is no more victims. I believe that is best accomplished when there is a consequence rather than an acquittal,” the statement read, according to the Star-Telegram.

She also said that “there are many facts that the public does not have,” without giving more details.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Why it's so hard to try and convict a he said/she said case...defense and prosecutors end up attacking the character of the opposition and casting reasonable doubt.

Also, something I taught kids coming into college when I worked in new student orientation...being drunk isn't a free pass at consent. If a girl is drunk, in theory she can't give consent because her judgement is impaired, because she's impaired. Same goes the other way, just not brought up as often.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah...if he spiked the punch with drugs to get girls blacked out to rape them...I'm not kidding....put a .45 hollow point in his head. And put a .45 hollow point in all the frat bros heads that would cover for something so disgusting too! I think if this happened though the prosecutor would get a blood test to prove she had some sort of drug in her system, that she could have testified she did not knowingly take.

If the girl got to the party, downed 10 shots and 5 beers and got blacked out...and had sex with a dude equally blacked out, then felt violated when she woke up...I'm not sure I could agree to ruining a dude's life over that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info