Alaska vs Illinois DOT

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I believe this was posted in the first Alaska earthquake thread. They said it would have been done quicker but they had to thaw some of the gravel needed to repair the road.

The construction in Illinois is all about corruption and money. And we, the public, are held ransom because of it.
Things seemed to move at decent pace in mchenry county when we lived there. Worked overnight usually and there were times they’d have roads repaved in a week and I’d only see them cleaning up after working overnight.

Cook county on the other hand, I swear every few years I go back river road is back under construction

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
They just did a big stretch of Roosevelt for from Wheaton to Lombard I believe. It didn't take too long. They made steady progress. I'm sure due to the weather they were not able to work at night. Cook is bad as is the Highway system. They are doing a stretch of 355. I don't take it often because I can take side roads to miss most of it. But when I do take that stretch of road I always see road crews out but nothing seems to ever change. It takes forever to get any progress. Same with anywhere else on the highway system in Illinois. Ridiculous.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
I just sat in on a meeting about this, on how we are going to staff it with extra cars to handle the call volume. Only good news is that the first two years will be all support work to widen 294 from 95th to Balmoral. The mainline wont be under construction for 8 years straight, but its going to suck monkey dick regardless. Im not an engineer so I wont sideline QB these construction companies, but giving us no shoulders to get to a crash is just fucking stupid.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I just sat in on a meeting about this, on how we are going to staff it with extra cars to handle the call volume. Only good news is that the first two years will be all support work to widen 294 from 95th to Balmoral. The mainline wont be under construction for 8 years straight, but its going to suck monkey dick regardless. Im not an engineer so I wont sideline QB these construction companies, but giving us no shoulders to get to a crash is just fucking stupid.

Lots of advance work will be done off pavement. Don’t forget you have 490, 390 and the tristate widening all happening at once. Will be worse than the I-90 project due to the volume of traffic. Also keep in mind route 83, Wolf Rd, Mannheim and other north/south local streets will be greatly effected and will suffer due to the amount of traffic that will shift there as alternate routes. I know when there were no shoulders on I-90 I found myself reaching crashes driving either in the construction cut outs or against traffic since all lanes were usually stopped. Good times regardless...... not

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Impressive yes, but REALLLLLY worth mentioning how there are so few roads in AK.

especially for how much land there is.

Alaska: 663,300 mi²

Illinois: 57,915 mi²

Alaska roads.... 31,618 miles.

Illinois..... 305,872

So alaska has eleven and a half times the area, and 1/10th of the roads that illinois does.

https://blog.cubitplanning.com/2010/02/road-miles-by-state/

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:rofl: that might even be high also... from alaska DOT website...

How many miles of public roadway does Alaska have? (-)
In 2009, Federal and State agencies, municipal governments and local communities reported 15,718 miles of public roads in Alaska. The 2009 Certified Public Road Mileage Report provides detailed summaries at: Transportation Data website

How many miles of Alaska's roads are paved? (-)
In 2009, 4,857 miles of public roads were reported paved. This is about 31% of all public roads in Alaska. Alaska DOT/PF roads have the highest proportion of paved roads at 66% of its 6,500 miles.

FAQs, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Impressive yes, but REALLLLLY worth mentioning how there are so few roads in AK.

especially for how much land there is.

Alaska: 663,300 mi²

Illinois: 57,915 mi²

Alaska roads.... 31,618 miles.

Illinois..... 305,872

So alaska has eleven and a half times the area, and 1/10th of the roads that illinois does.

https://blog.cubitplanning.com/2010/02/road-miles-by-state/

I don't think you can be on TCG anymore if youre going to continue using facts and logic. :s00ls:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:rofl:

being in alaska over the summer was mindfucking. yeah it's a lot of land of course as everyone knows, but there's like ONE two lane road to destinations you can drive to, or no fucking road at all, hopefully you are okay with ferrys.

juneau, the state capital? oh yeah you can't actually drive on land there. get on a fuckin' boat pilgrim.

of course they fixed this road quickly, if they didn't fix it no one would have been able to get to the airport or some shit :rofl:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
:rofl:

being in alaska over the summer was mindfucking. yeah it's a lot of land of course as everyone knows, but there's like ONE two lane road to destinations you can drive to, or no fucking road at all, hopefully you are okay with ferrys.

juneau, the state capital? oh yeah you can't actually drive on land there. get on a fuckin' boat pilgrim.

of course they fixed this road quickly, if they didn't fix it no one would have been able to get to the airport or some shit :rofl:

I still cant wait to go to AK....

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info