Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://wgntv.com/2018/11/30/radio-station-stops-playing-baby-its-cold-outside-amid-me-too-movement/

CLEVELAND - A Cleveland radio station has stopped playing “Baby It's Cold Outside" this holiday season after it says listeners voiced concern about the song’s predatory undertones amid the “Me Too” movement.

WDOK Christmas 102.1 pulled the song from its around-the-clock rotation of Christmas music this week after receiving a call from a listener who suggested it is inappropriate in 2018.

The call-and-response song written in the 1940s includes a woman singing that she has to leave a man’s house as he tries to lure her to stay.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
CNN has been at it for 2 years now with this song.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/us/baby-its-cold-outside-cover-trnd/index.html

A couple from Minnesota has re-imagined the classic Christmas song "Baby It's Cold Outside" for a 21st-century audience, changing the song's lyrics to emphasize the importance of consent.

Singer-songwriters Lydia Liza and Josiah Lemanski, both from Minneapolis, said they were inspired to rework the song after bonding over a mutual dislike of the original's lyrics, which were penned in 1944 by Frank Loesser. The duet features a man trying to dissuade a woman from leaving a party despite her repeated protestations that she has to go home. "What's in this drink?" is one of the female lines. "What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?" implores the male voice.

The song's seeming disregard for the woman's desire to leave never sat well with Lemanski or Liza.

"I've always had a big problem with the song. It's so aggressive and inappropriate," said Lemanski, 25.

Liza, 22, said she felt the same way as her boyfriend.

"We started thinking of the open-ended questions that song has," she said. "You never figure out if she gets to go home. You never figure out if there was something in her drink. It just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth."

So Wednesday night, the couple decided to write a complete set of new lyrics.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
i mean, how much longer will black friday be black?

Philosoraptor.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I saw an ad before a youtube video I was watching. It was about the attack on terms like "Merry Christmas", "Christmas vacation", and the holiday itself. It was saying that 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas. Yet this small group wants to make it so 90% of this population should be ashamed of it. Even without the religious undertones, it is still a US holiday. The video made some good points. The person in the video was a Jewish man and even commented that he is happy to hear, and say, "Merry Christmas" to people.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
People hearing the song have two choices if they don't like it.

1. Change the station. That's what most listeners have done with songs they don't like for the entire history of radio.

2. Decide on your own that your viewpoint is the only one that matters and tell the radio station to lose the song.

I'm going to listen to the song tomorrow because I like it.

Not to mention the fact that men have pursued women since... the beginning of the human race. It's not like the guy is roofying her.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info