TCG dads - Keeping kids active

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
What do the TCG dads do to keep their kids active? I'm trying to steer my 6 year-old son away from excessive iPad time to be active. Sure, it's easy to make him turn it off, but it's the re-directing I need to learn how to do. I don't want to tell him to just go play with his toys.

We have a good sized unfinished basement. I was thinking of setting up some kind of obstacle course for him to do. When I'm working out, sometimes he comes down and mimics what I'm doing.

I saw some ninja line stuff that would be awesome if I could hang it from the joists.

71YPP56zb8L._SL1500_.jpg

During the summer, it's easy to stay active with the kids in the neighborhood. But on cold winter nights in the house, I want to have him do 20-30 minutes of activity. I also saw these cards on Amazon. It's basically a deck of cards that have various exercises on them.
811qOYtPeDL._SL1500_.jpg

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I've got my girls (5 and 8) in basketball and Irish dance. Practices are an hour and at least 2-3 nights a week.

My boys are still too young (1 and 3), but will have them in basketball, wrestling, and maybe hockey.

Also have my 3 and 5 year old in swim lessons, so there is an hour a week of swimming.

Just sign them up for a bunch of crap!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I remember roller skating in my parent's basement. My brother fell off his tricycle seat when he was standing on it and broke his two front teeth so we must have been riding trikes, too.

Can't the kid spot for you?

Are you saying you have your own obstacle course?

Seriously, we used sports to keep our kids interested in outdoor activities. School and county programs get the kids out running around with other kids. It's a pain to be the taxi/spectator but worth it.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Martial arts, self defense or a boxing class. Teaches discipline, coordination, it’s exercise, there really is no age requirement and you can practice and workout at home. Plus it’s one of those things that everyone should know how to do. Craigslist is usually loaded with people selling punching bags and striking dummies. Also wouldn’t be a bad idea to just get a simple jump rope and challenge them to see how many times in a row they can go and how fast they can go plus it’s great for cardio.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Wrestling......Bartlett has a pretty good youth program the coaches are awesome.
If he takes to it and really enjoys it. Then next year its time to put him in an "Elite" program and let him wrestle year round. You will thank me when he has a full ride in 12 years

My son wrestled for them when they were the Kane County Grapplers for 2 years.
Then we moved on to an "Elite" club and went at it all year

https://www.scorpionwrestlingclub.com/contacts

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Wrestling......Bartlett has a pretty good youth program the coaches are awesome.
If he takes to it and really enjoys it. Then next year its time to put him in an "Elite" program and let him wrestle year round. You will thank me when he has a full ride in 12 years

My son wrestled for them when they were the Kane County Grapplers for 2 years.
Then we moved on to an "Elite" club and went at it all year

https://www.scorpionwrestlingclub.com/contacts
What age did you start your boy? Local club by me starts at 5 I believe.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
What age did you start your boy? Local club by me starts at 5 I believe.
If they havent changed anything, yes he can start at 5. Season has already started, pretty sure November 1st is when practice starts.
We started late, I think he was 8. I highly recommend getting them going at 5-6 years old. Those 3 years he missed was evident the first couple of years.

What club is near you.....Arlington Cardinals?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Problem is that kid may only be slightly interested and stop using equipment after 20 minutes. After many failed attempts to retrofit the kids with activities we found trying out things off Groupon keeps them busy. Four kids and none really like to do the same thing. When they show interest in something we encourage them, but you have to minimize the financial investment until you’re really sure it’s not a phase. Most of the hobbies/activity kids do last 3-6months and then they move on. I wouldn’t remodel a basement to focus on it, rather have those things available for them to try. 6 year olds aren’t too hard to entertain, and I agree with previous posts about things like karate/sports programs, yadda yadda...and not just dropping them off at them. They value a parent being there with them.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ours are involved with a lot of afterschool activities/groups/sports/etc...

Both of ours were in karate, but they both quickly lost interest. Both of us were always there. Matter of fact, I would actually go out there with him, doing the lessons along side of him which is how I tore my left ACL.

Another thing, keep them involved in household chores. It may not be excercise necessarily, but it teaches them how to contribute to the household and keeps them occupied. SImple things like cleaning the dinner table, loading/unloading the dishwasher, etc, etc...

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Look into your park district. I just got the Naperville winter guide and there are all sorts of evening activities. Swimming, ice cream socials, arts and crafts. Also look for a big indoor sports center nearby. Zoe’s daycare is in one of those and at night it’s kids soccer leagues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info