cd / dvd / comic collections...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so i got all this stuff but am looking to move and minimize my life. i have a hard time seeing myself firing up the 200 cds or 200 dvds i have again. probably won't ever read the comics again although they have more sentimental value.

all the console and computer games and boxes i still have? well, i plan on keeping those...

but what do y'all do with any of this stuff if you've gotten rid of yours? i feel like the only way you do it is a bulk sale of like all your cds on ebay for $20. or instead of individual dvds, hey take them all for $30. comics, unless you got something real special, and even then questionable, i'm betting i'd just plop into a comic book store with boxes full and they would just pay me a quarter per pound of weight or something.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
streaming has killed CDs and DVDs. I’d toss/recycle them. As far as the comics I’d go through them and condense down to 1 box of potentially valuable and or particularly sentimental ones. Bonfire for the rest

I’ve found that it’s like a bandaid with getting rid of stuff- you just gotta do it. Don’t think about it, just do it

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
So I just went through this with close to 250 DVDs this weekend.

There is a place online that will take some, free shipping but you have to manually add each UPC which is a pain. They have an app and will pay you for the movies. Some were $.05 and most were $.35

Ended up just taking them to Half Price books and they paid us $23 for everything :tear: but it isn't worth the time and energy to do anything else and in a few years they would be worthless.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
250 dvds for $23? unf. sure paid a lot more for them eh :p

taking books too sounds appealing, have plenty i don't need.

not appealing: physically bringing all of this stuff there. cds easy actually since most are just in those binders, although i imagine they will give you even less for them then, if they take those.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I digitized all of the DVDs so I still technically have them I guess but it was a pretty swift kick in the nuts.

Maybe see if a library wants any of the stuff? At least it can be enjoyed by others

That is probably the easiest method and you might get a decent tax credit depending on how they calculate it.

The Library will most definitely take books.

I have already ripped every CD, DVD, and Bluray I own. So the physical media is just a backup I store in a box. Still takes up some room.

If you don't care about the original boxes you can just get one of the scratchless media binders and use the slots there. That would certainly collapse how much space is being used.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
That is probably the easiest method and you might get a decent tax credit depending on how they calculate it.

I have already ripped every CD, DVD, and Bluray I own. So the physical media is just a backup I store in a box. Still takes up some room.

If you don't care about the original boxes you can just get one of the scratchless media binders and use the slots there. That would certainly collapse how much space is being used.

The IRS uses fair market value and you can find a "value guide" on the IRS website for the average fair market value of many items. Of course given that the items were donated to a qualified organization.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The IRS uses fair market value and you can find a "value guide" on the IRS website for the average fair market value of many items. Of course given that the items were donated to a qualified organization.

this sounds good, although less hot given the current tax situation, ie. the standard deduction is 12k... so i don't think i have enough stuff to donate to overcome that. well surely i don't as i paid property taxes in advance for 2018 in 2017. it seems you need to make pretty significant charitable donations now then to reduce any tax payments.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So I just went through this with close to 250 DVDs this weekend.

There is a place online that will take some, free shipping but you have to manually add each UPC which is a pain. They have an app and will pay you for the movies. Some were $.05 and most were $.35

Ended up just taking them to Half Price books and they paid us $23 for everything :tear: but it isn't worth the time and energy to do anything else and in a few years they would be worthless.

Thats $23 more than you had going in with all of those items just in the way. I too really want to either get rid of them, or do what Thirdgen said.

I may just get a few of the binders and just toss the boxes. Keep the box sets like Star Wars and such. I dont need a box for movies like Dungeons and Dragons. :roflpicard:

Music, movies, comics are all in a box that I built. Nice and compact. And sort of protected. :hs:

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
this sounds good, although less hot given the current tax situation, ie. the standard deduction is 12k... so i don't think i have enough stuff to donate to overcome that. well surely i don't as i paid property taxes in advance for 2018 in 2017. it seems you need to make pretty significant charitable donations now then to reduce any tax payments.

I always have enough to do an itemized deduction and I look for anything and everything I can as a deduction. From gas, tolls, mileage, and other things, on my vehicle, to cell phone/utilities that I use for my work or business.

Also, any home improvements that help out economically if I'm not mistaken. So if you insulated any parts of your home, solar power systems, better windows, ect.

I think this year, there's no longer the option of being able to deduct the interest paid on the mortgage. It'll be interesting to see how this year taxes are with new rules taking effect and some no longer being usable.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I always have enough to do an itemized deduction and I look for anything and everything I can as a deduction. From gas, tolls, mileage, and other things, on my vehicle, to cell phone/utilities that I use for my work or business.

Also, any home improvements that help out economically if I'm not mistaken. So if you insulated any parts of your home, solar power systems, better windows, ect.

I think this year, there's no longer the option of being able to deduct the interest paid on the mortgage. It'll be interesting to see how this year taxes are with new rules taking effect and some no longer being usable.

property tax is also limited to 10, and unfortunately, that's where a heap of my deduction is coming from in the first place. i probably would be close or a wash if i didn't pay those early. and i did, so no way in hell my charitable contributions will count for anything!

i need to do some serious stuff reduction around the house. i wonder if my local community college might want some stuff like an old compy i have, or just be like lol wtf junk. i have a sun sparcstation 4, which i learned java on and ran my first quake team fortress server on!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info