Sales guys - question

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
2-3 days. Cold emails don't work anyways. Time would be better spent setting up appointments with cold calls. I know that's a pain and tough to do with the do not call now-a-days but you can call businesses or people who, for whatever reason, aren't on the DNC list. When I was starting out, I got about a 1 in 100 eventual sales ratio which is a lot better than cold emails. I think my boss gets about a 1-1000 return on his snail mailings which is still better than emails. +/- $600 every couple weeks to get 1-2 listings is profitable for him.

I probably delete or spam reject 50 cold emails a day. Rarely bother to do more than glance at them, if that. There would have to be one hell of a legitimate offer for me to notice them.

Referrals are best, of course.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Track your responses and see if it's worth your time. Maybe it is just to get your name out but you need to repeat at least monthly to get that. Toss in a special offer or some useful information to get a better response.

I know a lot of Realtors who try to exclusively use emails so they don't have to talk to people and they're mostly just wasting time that could be better spent.

Definitely use them to get your name known but don't expect a lot of sales (as I'm sure you know).

I email a lot of stuff to past customers and past leads every month and call them every 3-4 months to ask if they have talked with anyone who is looking to sell/buy. I send hand written Christmas/holiday cards which take some time but are favorably received. I include a magnet calendar with those. Get my pic and name on their fridge for a year.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I should also clarify somewhat. I'd say... 50% of these initial contact emails are replies to inquires. Phone calls don't always get timely return calls, especially in Healthcare.

You might want to mention in the emails that you will call them to answer any of their questions. That gives you an introduction before you call them and makes it more likely they will talk to you. I make a point of asking right away if they have a couple minutes to talk. If the answer is no, I ask when a good time would be and if they have any immediate questions I can answer. Old school calls have been a lot better for me, at least, because I'm a talker. Plus it's different with real estate when a sale can be $10K or more. I can put more effort into each customer to get quality vs. quantity.

Today I spent 11 hours, driving for 6 hours and buying lunch/talking/looking at a 22 acre farm estate. I brought them a ton of information and answered all their questions. That's an entire day for 1 customer but I think it will be worth it. The wife wants me to refer a closer Realtor and the husband said it's up to me if I want to sell it or refer it. That's a successful day. I haven't decided yet if I want to sell a place that's 3 hours away. It's tougher to handle a sale like that although I have done plenty of them. Amy wants me to take it because it's over $10K if I sell it vs. $3Kish for a referral. Choice is work hard for the big money or work a little bit for the lesser. My main goal is to make my customers happy and do what's best for them, or course. I'm going to phone interview some Realtors near them tomorrow and see what happens.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
The Dale's guys that sit around me, it all varies. Some even call a few hours later just to make sure the email was received, and if they could answer any questions up front and schedule a meeting. All depends on how "cold" the contact is. If it's a true cold e-mail, they will wait a few days.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Sales is a balance. In my opinion people aren’t going to buy until they have a need. The best way to set yourself up for success is to not “sell” them on anything. Build a relationship no matter how small, the key is to have them know what you offer/what you can provide, so that when their need does arise they think of calling you.

Back to the original question, a cold email on it’s own isn’t effective. A cold email with a follow up phone call making the potential customer aware of what you can offer is better. A cold email with a follow up call to schedule an appointment, to just show (not sell) what you can offer is best.

People see through trying to be sold on things, it comes off cheap and sleazy. More than what you asked for, but I’ve been in this game a while so just giving you advice.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Most of my tactics don't involve an actual sales but rather trying to set up a demo, answer questions, etc. Get them to actually engage me in a sale, if that makes sense.

I think that is a good approach, but a full blown demo will not be of interest to them if they are not in the market to buy or don’t have the want/need to change. Maybe have a smaller demo to just make them aware for when the time comes to change. I’m not sure what you are selling but the customer could be locked in a contract, be completely satisfied with what they are using, etc...

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That is the way you would position it as well.

Mr. Customer I realize you may not be in the market to purchase at this time and to be honest I’m not here to push this on you. I just wanted to make you aware of the XYZ product we offer. Companies such as yourself have found XYZ be helpful in accomplishing yada yada.

Something to that effect, in your own words.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
how are you finding people to cold call?

most of our guys use data from trade shows we visit, but some use linkedin and search for similar companies, and call them just to say, hey, what do you do there, this is what i do, have you heard of us, if not id like to stop by next time i am in the area and introduce us to you, i case there is any need for us in the future. ect, ect

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004
Mike, what is the product you sell? Is it B2B (Business) or B2C (Consumer)

I've spent the better part of my career as a "hunter" in the enterprise software space. That said there may be some differences on who I'm calling on, but one thing is always the same, they are people. Nowadays there is so much "noise" with email, calls, etc.. most people never answer emails, or pick up the phone. That said, I've used creative ways to get their attention.

I call on a lot of executives of large companies and one thing they love, in most cases, is themselves :) so doing research on them around articles they've written, quotes they've stated in interviews, Earnings calls, etc.. are a great way to get them to take a glance.

Additionally, identifying a pain that they have an how you solved it in a very quick succinct way can also strike a chord, this is where persistence pays off as it is very much a timing thing too, it's either latent pain, or active.

The above aspects are the same for anyone else you're prospecting, show that you care about their business and be genuine and that certainly helps split you from so many other terrible sales people.

I have a ton of things I could share with you, emails that have work, marketing (high touch) etc.. Answering my first questions will help me in what suggestions would be.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Doing side work now selling job board ad packages for the healthcare industry. Very successful company, with many sites. I basically follow up on lead inquiries and drum up new business. The new business part is a pain in the dick, b/c all recruiters (whether in house or a firm) get emails and calls for this stuff daily. I get creative but its still a process.

Your graphic above is accurate...most of my success has come on the 4th or 5th contact. And I consider success a sale OR a rejection. Bc a response is a response. To me at least.

So for example, the main site is for recruiters and in-house recruiters alike. So I will respond to inquiries that come directly to the site (still typically take a few follow ups to gain action) and then I go out and cold call. I dont lead off with sales at all. I lead off seeing what their needs are if I can schedule a demo to show them how the site works, learn their needs, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info