Recommend me a fridge

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
So we’re finishing up our kitchen remodel and need to buy a new 36” fridge. Wife is dead set on a side by side. We had originally went back and forth on a fridgidaire and an LG model (strictly on looks) but after reading reviews of both I don’t know what to pick. The LG’s seem to have compressor issues and the fridgidaire ones seem to be loud as hell.

Anybody with long term reviews on side by side fridges?

Here are the two models we originally liked.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...rator-in-Stainless-Steel-LSXS26326S/205343862

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-G...-Proof-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000289709

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
So we’re finishing up our kitchen remodel and need to buy a new 36” fridge. Wife is dead set on a side by side. We had originally went back and forth on a fridgidaire and an LG model (strictly on looks) but after reading reviews of both I don’t know what to pick. The LG’s seem to have compressor issues and the fridgidaire ones seem to be loud as hell.

Anybody with long term reviews on side by side fridges?

Here are the two models we originally liked.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...rator-in-Stainless-Steel-LSXS26326S/205343862

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-G...-Proof-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000289709

I have an LG and it's almost exactly like that one except I have a button on the fridge side to allow half the door to open for stuff on the shelves of the door.

I would suggest a 5 year extended warranty. My compressor failed after having the unit for 3 years and if I didn't have the warranty I'd have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed (about $500). They also reimburse up to $300 for food loss with the 5 year warranty and I think up to $150 or $200 for the 3 year extended warranty.

My gripe is with the warranty and process. It took a couple weeks for them to even find a company willing to look at and service the LG. Then when they finally got somebody, it took another couple weeks to get the part and come back to actually fix it. So a month without a refrigerator, which is unacceptable. I had to eat out a lot. They don't reimburse you until after the refrigerator is fixed. The tech (which I'd have to look up the company) was rude and the company doesn't have a stellar rating neither, but the refrigerator did get fixed.

As for the refrigerator, I actually like it. Especially with that easy access door.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have an LG and it's almost exactly like that one except I have a button on the fridge side to allow half the door to open for stuff on the shelves of the door.

I would suggest a 5 year extended warranty. My compressor failed after having the unit for 3 years and if I didn't have the warranty I'd have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed (about $500). They also reimburse up to $300 for food loss with the 5 year warranty and I think up to $150 or $200 for the 3 year extended warranty.

My gripe is with the warranty and process. It took a couple weeks for them to even find a company willing to look at and service the LG. Then when they finally got somebody, it took another couple weeks to get the part and come back to actually fix it. So a month without a refrigerator, which is unacceptable. I had to eat out a lot. They don't reimburse you until after the refrigerator is fixed. The tech (which I'd have to look up the company) was rude and the company doesn't have a stellar rating neither, but the refrigerator did get fixed.

As for the refrigerator, I actually like it. Especially with that easy access door.
That seems like quite a common issue with the LG’s. Where’d you get the extended warranty from? I was planning on one regardless.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I don't know if Samsung makes anything you would be interested in, but ours is very quiet and works so far.
We had a Samsung in the running but wife didn’t like the no drip tray on the water/ice dispenser and something else superficial :rofl:

They seem like they get better reviews than the LG’s so it’s an option again.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
We had a Samsung in the running but wife didn’t like the no drip tray on the water/ice dispenser and something else superficial :rofl:

They seem like they get better reviews than the LG’s so it’s an option again.
My in-laws have the Samsung with no drip tray. Always end up with a small puddle on the floor or water streaks but a few drips after getting water. #1stWorldProblems

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Fun fact:

Frigidaire is made by Electrolux

Whirlpool makes Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Amana, Jenn-Air, Roper, Estate and Inglis.

Kenmore doesn't make any appliances. They buy them from all the other manufacturers so your Kenmore could be made by anyone.

LG, Bosch, Haier, Speed Queen and Samsung manufacture their own products.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
My in-laws have the Samsung with no drip tray. Always end up with a small puddle on the floor or water streaks but a few drips after getting water. #1stWorldProblems
I mean not a deal breaker by any means, but it’s hard to argue with an 8 month pregnant wife :rofl:

We’ve got tile so not too worried about some water drips.

I think the LG is out and now she’s liking a whirlpool in the same price range.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpo...esistant-Stainless-Steel-WRS555SIHZ/303419575

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
if LG is still using samsung linear compressors, id stay away from those.
or anything with dual evaporators
Yea they seem not good and not something I could easily swap so out.

An ice maker not working or something like that isn’t a big deal. I can wait thru the warranty process. Not going a month with a fridge that won’t cool.

It’s crazy that even the $3-4K LG fridges seem to have the same issue. I’d be way more pissed off than if I spent $1200

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Yea they seem not good and not something I could easily swap so out.

An ice maker not working or something like that isn’t a big deal. I can wait thru the warranty process. Not going a month with a fridge that won’t cool.

It’s crazy that even the $3-4K LG fridges seem to have the same issue. I’d be way more pissed off than if I spent $1200

those linear compressors were so bad, samsung offered a 10 year part warranty on them.

my most recent fridge i had, had a failed linear and LG would NOT give me the compressor. they wanted me to have LG service come out and diag it and install. to the tune of 4-600 they said. fuck you. give me my compressor ill put it in my damn self.

a couple years back i had another LG dual evap unit that was only 3 years old and the fridge section evaporator sprung a leak, but i got lucky on that guy.. called LG, told them the the info they needed and it was no money out of pocked for hte repair, but it still probably wont last 10 years. it will fail again.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
All fridges are unfortunately disposable now.... I don't expect much anymore in that world. Its sad because you rely on them so much for ice cold beer.

I was just talking about this today... Appliances are basically disposable now... Repairs are like $50 less than a brand new appliance it always seems like. Kinda sad really.

My parents had a stand alone freezer that just wouldnt die for the longest time, it just was a power hog. They finally got rid of it just because they wanted something smaller.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I have a fridgidare that I like I don’t notice it running only had it a year, my only gripe is the water filters are like 45 bucks and they only last 4 months but that won’t matter if your not getting one with water

With how much those filters are I have thought about piping in a generic menards filter before and swapping that instead.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have a fridgidare that I like I don’t notice it running only had it a year, my only gripe is the water filters are like 45 bucks and they only last 4 months but that won’t matter if your not getting one with water
We were pretty close to going with one. I forget what the problem was already. Some wife gripe :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info