PoE Wifi Extenders

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
What are some recommendations you guys have?

Our house is pre-wired with access ports on each floor(on the ceiling). Pulte designed it to have the router in the basement and ethernet cables throughout the house. Supposedly making it a 'smart' home. I don't really see the benefit, but whatever.

Internet on the second floor will be spotty, so I'm looking for some good wifi extenders that are powered by the ethernet.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
If you have the infrastructure for it like you say just get two TP-Link or Ubiquiti Access Points and plug them into the jacks one on each floor.

Much more stable than mesh IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781YXFBT/?tag=tcg21-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DRM6MLI/?tag=tcg21-20

You will need a router in the basement like you say, but no reason you can't use what you have. The devices above will be the source of WiFi not the device in the basement. A single on of those devices on the first floor might even cut it.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
If you have a poe switch and the house is pre-wired, it would be trivial to set up a couple Ubiquiti access points. I have one AC-PRO that covers my whole house, but I'll likely add a second AP upstairs at some point. The controller software handles band steering, AP handoff, etc. It's pretty slick.

Side note: get the pro version. The other versions use Ubiquiti's proprietary PoE that isn't compatible with other brand switches typically.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm not 100% certain that is what our house is set-up for by the builder. Let me break it down the best I can as a non-tech savvy person.

We have our router in the basement in a box. There are ethernet cables in that box that connect to the router. These cables are routed to various spots in the house. Two of those locations are access ports in the ceiling covered with a blank wall cover. I'm looking for something that mounts to the ceiling as is powered by the ethernet cable itself.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm not 100% certain that is what our house is set-up for by the builder. Let me break it down the best I can as a non-tech savvy person.

We have our router in the basement in a box. There are ethernet cables in that box that connect to the router. These cables are routed to various spots in the house. Two of those locations are access ports in the ceiling covered with a blank wall cover. I'm looking for something that mounts to the ceiling as is powered by the ethernet cable itself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/?tag=tcg21-20

You just have to ensure your router/switch is PoE. If not, you'll have to use the PoE injector that comes with the access point, which really isn't a big deal...Just means you have a little power supply sitting in there.

edit: And if you switch to something like this, just disable the router's wifi all together. Any good access point(or two) like this will be much better.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
You have what others want, and dont want to use it. :rofl:

If something has a hardwire connection, Id connect it. If not, Id use the TP Link Muskie posted.

It's not that I don't want to use the access ports, I just want to know what recommendations would be for an extender that utilizes them. I'm not a network technical person, so I was hoping it was something that was just plug and play.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
^ he's right..

This is where all my network runs terminate..

342mqJx.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It's not that I don't want to use the access ports, I just want to know what recommendations would be for an extender that utilizes them. I'm not a network technical person, so I was hoping it was something that was just plug and play.

If you're house is wired for AP's and you are having issues with a single AP, I'd definitely look into the managed AP's like the Unifi stuff posted.

Once its setup and running, you'll be way more pleased with the performance of a smart system.

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008
If you have the infrastructure for it like you say just get two TP-Link or Ubiquiti Access Points and plug them into the jacks one on each floor.

Much more stable than mesh IMO.

Amazon product
Amazon product

You will need a router in the basement like you say, but no reason you can't use what you have. The devices above will be the source of WiFi not the device in the basement. A single on of those devices on the first floor might even cut it.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I’m looking to run access points in my basement and 2nd floor, instead of getting a larger main router. In 2020 are these TP-links still the best bang for the buck? I purchased a poe+ switch already.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info